Page 1 of 2

Hey! Its Tyler and Sol!

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:28 am
by fahucker
Recently new to TPF figured I would post this to get some chatter going!

Well I am pretty much a country guy living in AZ. 19 on 8/25 which will be awesome! Starting college to become a diesel technician. Also have became a huge aquarium enthusiast since my buddy moved in and since he couldn't afford his puffer he gave it to me! Still learning through research and most of these guys and gals on here. Which is strongly appreciated and I encourage corrective criticism on here towards me!

My fish and tank consist of a 40gallon breeder tank with a Cascade 500 canister filter with argonaut mixed with sand as the substrate. I have a Fahaka Puffer named Sol since hes fat and lazy and I love the movie Pineapple Express!! Then I have a bala sharl, 2 cory catfish, Chinese algae eater, electric yellow cichilid and a dinosaur bichir. Love them all except the cichlid since hes a butthead! lol

By next week hopefully is the tank and stand is finished I will have a full 225gallon tank which is almost twice the recommended size for a puffer :) so he will be happy! The tank I am going to cycle a week with some fish and get the substrate, decor, and other items around to put in and get it ready for him! I am going to make it fun and not boring for him so he will live a long successful and prosperous life with me. So any ideas feel free to let me know!

Re: Hey! Its Tyler and Sol!

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:55 am
by Pufferpunk
[welcome]
1 week, cycling with fish, ain't gonna cut it:
library/water-filtration/fishless-cycling/

Re: Hey! Its Tyler and Sol!

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:26 am
by fahucker
Thanks! I read that very informational! I need to brush up on some of my reading. been busy!

Re: Hey! Its Tyler and Sol!

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:28 am
by Pufferpunk
There's a 2nd article on fishless cycing in the library too & if you're really feeling like reading about how the biological functions of our aquariums work, try the other articles in that section.

Re: Hey! Its Tyler and Sol!

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:33 am
by fahucker
could you post a link? that would be easier

so doing what this article says and then adding my old bio media would that be ohk? or just start fresh and grow bacteria would be betteR?

Re: Hey! Its Tyler and Sol!

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:37 am
by trekenk
I would post a link but it is easier for you to get to know your way around. Go to top of page where it says Learn, drop down to "The Puffer Library". Lots of infor there.

Re: Hey! Its Tyler and Sol!

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:39 am
by fahucker
thanks man

Re: Hey! Its Tyler and Sol!

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:41 am
by Pufferpunk
I'm not much for spoon-feeding research, especially when it's in the same section of the Library I already linked you to (& I've already taken my sleeping pill, so it's getting increasingly harder to type correctly :notimpressed: )
library/category/water-filtration/


.

Re: Hey! Its Tyler and Sol!

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:59 am
by fahucker
Well I looked and cant figure the damn thing out! lol But I will look some more! Thank you though!

Re: Hey! Its Tyler and Sol!

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:03 am
by bertie 83
Please don't cycle with fish it's cruel

Re: Hey! Its Tyler and Sol!

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:06 am
by fahucker
not cycleing with fish man.
I got some used media from a well established tank and put it in my filter hopefully things will turn around here soon.

Re: Hey! Its Tyler and Sol!

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:48 am
by bertie 83
Glad you decided not to use fish to cycle

Re: Hey! Its Tyler and Sol!

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:52 am
by Pufferpunk
Were you able to read those Water & Filtration articles? I gave you the link to all of them.

Re: Hey! Its Tyler and Sol!

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:45 pm
by fahucker
Yes I read through quite a bit found out some things I was doing wrong and know I am more educated on the situations!

I appreciate it so much PufferPunk you've been a lot of help!

Re: Hey! Its Tyler and Sol!

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:49 pm
by Pufferpunk
Thank RTR, he wrote all that. ;)