Page 1 of 2

New to the puffer forum

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:47 pm
by Sylar_92
Hey gals and gals, Name's Sylar. As the title says Im new to the forum. I currently own a baby 2" figure 8 puffer in a brackish 35gallon with barbs and danios. Im planning to buy a baby fahaka in the next three months and I was wondering what accomendations would I need for the little guy compared to a figure 8? Beside a farily larger tank. Thanks in advance, I'll post some pics of my figure 8 later on today. :)

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:00 pm
by J-P
LOL!! don't tell me you're from Bancroft!!

Welcome to the forum!!!

A Fahaka needs a really big tank... really big.

ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Freshwater/T_Lineatus/

I had a larger tank but the width is the key. Just because you have the water volume, doesn't mean it is ideal for one of these monsters.

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:02 pm
by Pufferpunk
[welcome]
How much salt is in your "brackish" tank? What kind of salt? Neither barbs nor danios are BW fish.

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am
by Sylar_92
J-P wrote:LOL!! don't tell me you're from Bancroft!!
Welcome to the forum!!!
A Fahaka needs a really big tank... really big.
ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Freshwater/T_Lineatus/
I had a larger tank but the width is the key. Just because you have the water volume, doesn't mean it is ideal for one of these monsters.
LOL, Iam from Toronto. I understand they will need a huge tank and I have a 90gallon in my cellar waiting for him, which is wider and longer than a 90gallon tall. I was wondering if the PH or salt content would be different for it compared to my figure 8's setup. Thanks for the link, appreciate it.

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:07 am
by Sylar_92
Pufferpunk wrote:[welcome]
How much salt is in your "brackish" tank? What kind of salt? Neither barbs nor danios are BW fish.
Not really sure anymore lol, I use to have bumble bee gobies in the 35gallon. The danios and barbs have been in the same tank for roughly 2 years now. The salt didnt really seem to bother them so I just left the in there. I currently use Instant Ocean for the brackish water, generally I tend to use 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons. For substrate I have silica sand which is neutral, do you think it will be better to switch to a higher PH sand.

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:11 am
by J-P
no salt... no salt, no salt..

90 gals is a tad too small. Even in my 210 I couldn't have one.

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:11 am
by xrayjeeper83
Fahaka's are pure freshwater, no salt. But you need a 120 gallon tank minimum


You really really need to know what the SG(specific gravitiy) is. With a hydrometer or refractor for the F8

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:17 am
by Pufferpunk
Xray is referring to your BW F8 tank. You don't just toss salt in there. They do best at a SG of 1.005. That's roughly a cup of salt/5g. I don't think your FW fish would like it much in there...

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:22 am
by Sylar_92
xrayjeeper83 wrote:Fahaka's are pure freshwater, no salt. But you need a 120 gallon tank minimum
You really really need to know what the SG(specific gravitiy) is. With a hydrometer or refractor for the F8
Alright thanks, I'm a bit new to the puffer scene. I only kept my figure 8 for a month now, I always thought puffers were either BW or pure SW. Its pretty cool to see that a Fahaka is pure fresh water. Thanks for the feedback.

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:31 am
by Sylar_92
Pufferpunk wrote:Xray is referring to your BW F8 tank. You don't just toss salt in there. They do best at a SG of 1.005. That's roughly a cup of salt/5g. I don't think your FW fish would like it much in there...
LOL, my bad. Yes I do use a cup per 5 gallon, I current study culinery and I have to type up alot recipies. If tsp or tblsp keeps showing up forgive me. I will remove the FW though.

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:33 am
by Pufferpunk

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:03 am
by Sylar_92
Pufferpunk wrote:Glad you found us!
library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/
A question I have always thought about was if it was possible to use kitchen grade non-iodize seasalt as a substitute for aquarium salt. I heard it was possible but I also heard it wasn't. I never tried it fearing it might kill my fish. Also should I switch my silica sand to CaribeSea Arogonite? I been reading today and it says it better for figure 8's. The only other puffers I had before this figure 8 was a group of 5 pea puffers.

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:05 am
by J-P
marine salt only, no aquarium salt, no table salt.

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:08 am
by Salmon
The argonite would be good because it will keep your pH up around 8 which is ideal for fig 8s. Also you want to use Marine salt, not aquarium salt or iodized table salt, just marine salt.

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:16 am
by J-P
can't say that argonite will be of use or not without knowing the pH of the tap water.