Page 1 of 1
I'm New
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:44 am
by verona
Which I guess is obvious, since I'm posting this. I've been really interested in puffer fish since about a month and a half ago when I saw one at the local aquarium. I'd been wanting to get an aquarium for my home anyway, so I started researching the care of puffers-- don't want to be one of those people who get pets they don't know how to properly care for. Becoming active in a forum about them seemed like a good idea, both so I could get answers to any questions I might have that Google can't answer, and so I'd have people to talk to about these awesome fish.
Anyway, nice to meet you all!

Re: I'm New
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:52 am
by eieio
welcome verona
you found your way to an amazing forum with amazing people, who can help you with whatever you need help with

what kind of puffer strikes your fancy?
Re: I'm New
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:00 am
by Flutter
Welcome

We're happy to help you through this awesome journey.
Re: I'm New
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:03 am
by verona
Thank you both!
I really like the Green Spotted Puffer, but I'm told that the South American/Amazon Puffers are best for beginners.
Re: I'm New
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:06 am
by eieio
verona wrote:Thank you both!
I really like the Green Spotted Puffer, but I'm told that the South American/Amazon Puffers are best for beginners.
what size tank are you thinking?
Re: I'm New
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:06 am
by Flutter
SAPs aren't really as they require regular dentistry and a specialized tank. I would recommend a F8. They're lightly brackish but awesome fish. If you want to stick with freshwater then I would go with a red eye species.
Re: I'm New
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:16 am
by verona
eieio wrote:I really like the Green Spotted Puffer, but I'm told that the South American/Amazon Puffers are best for beginners.
what size tank are you thinking?[/quote]
About 45g-50g probably.
Flutter wrote:SAPs aren't really as they require regular dentistry and a specialized tank. I would recommend a F8. They're lightly brackish but awesome fish. If you want to stick with freshwater then I would go with a red eye species.
The specialized tank isn't really a big deal, because all I'd be keeping in there is the puffer(s) anyway, so I can make the tank how they'd like it and not have to worry about how suited it is for other fish. How regular is "regular dentistry?" I don't have a problem with brackish fish.
Anyway, I'll check out F8s and red eyes.
Re: I'm New
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:32 pm
by bertie 83
Welcome to the forum
Re: I'm New
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:10 pm
by Pufferpunk
![welcome [welcome]](./images/smilies/welcome.gif)
If you've never kept fish at all before, then you have a lot to learn. There's tons more than just buying an aquarium, filling it with water & plopping in a fish. Read the water/filtration articles in our Library & also the puffer articles. Also, check out our Pufferpedia for puffer's requirements, etc.
Re: I'm New
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:20 pm
by sevenyearnight
Unless you like the idea of catching 5 or so fish every few months, holding them, and clipping their teeth with nail clippers, I would not suggest south american puffers.
Your conscientious attitude and forethought is a much welcome change to certain common attitudes and practices.
Re: I'm New
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:21 pm
by verona
Pufferpunk wrote:![welcome [welcome]](./images/smilies/welcome.gif)
If you've never kept fish at all before, then you have a lot to learn. There's tons more than just buying an aquarium, filling it with water & plopping in a fish. Read the water/filtration articles in our Library & also the puffer articles. Also, check out our Pufferpedia for puffer's requirements, etc.
Will do. I'm currently looking for a good tank, filters that will actually filter the right amount of water, etc., and then I'll start cycling the tank (fishless). I was looking through Pufferpedia for a good type of puffer, and I think I have to agree with the person who said a figure eight would be good. I'm really excited, but I also don't want to get ahead of myself and get an animal I'm not prepared to take care of. Thank you for all the advice.

Re: I'm New
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:56 pm
by J-P
Welcome to the forum!!
I am sure, what ever you choose, you will have a long lived friend. Do your homework and select wisely.
Re: I'm New
Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:43 pm
by Pufftastic
It's always great to hear about someone researching puffers BEFORE getting one. I agree that F8s are an awesome intro to the world of puffs. I started with dwarf puffers (DPs) myself, which are purely freshwater, and eventually worked up to keeping F8s in brackish.
You could have 2 or 3 F8s in a tank the size you're considering. Very cool fish.