Page 1 of 1
new owner
Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:42 am
by garciahex
hello my name is hector and I just purchased a green spotted puffer a little bit smaller than an inch. gsp lives in a 40 gallon tank all by himself, the tank has a fluval 305 filtering the water, tank was cycled. when I bought the gsp he was living in freshwater so starting next week I will start to convert the water to brackish. love the articles this forum has and I am sure they will help me with this process. would anybody recommend adding some tank mates or should I just leave the gsp alone
Re: new owner
Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:55 pm
by My HD PVR
tank mates.... im not really sure on the GSP tank mates, but do not get another GSP, having two in there would not end well.
Re: new owner
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:48 am
by Nuclear_Glitter
I recommend leaving the GSP by himself. At first it may seem like the tank is just empty because you have one fish but they really have a lot of personality and he/she will get very excited by you just walking into the room soon. Basically anything you get he will kill and eat. if you feel your tank is looking a bit empty add decor. A lot of stuff for this can be found at the dollar store and yard sales, just make sure it's a safe material/paint for the fish. Glazed pots are good for this in my opinion. Lay them on their sides and the puffer will soon be interested enough to go inside.
I also suggest reading this article:
library/puffer-care/alone-but-not-lonel ... fers-solo/
Welcome to the forum and best of luck!
Re: new owner
Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:13 am
by garciahex
Thanks for that artcle. I think I will just leave the GSP alone. In the long run what would be better. A brakish water tank of full marine .
Re: new owner
Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:32 am
by Nuclear_Glitter
He will need a full marine in the long run but if he's a little smaller than an inch it's unknown how well he will do. I'd say wait until he's like an inch and a half then you can start going full marine but it's a long process anyway.
Re: new owner
Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:39 am
by trekenk
GSP can do fine their whole lives in high brackish water. The reason full marine is highly suggested is to cut down on cost. With the proper marine filteration of liverock and skimmer water chamges can be cut down to once a mouth, hence a big saving on salt. People also like to consider the possible tank mates with a large enough tank and marine conditions.
Re: new owner
Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:04 am
by Michael99
That was a real enlightening discussion especially so since I also bought a green spotted puffer about an inch long (don’t you find that weird??) and was just wondering along the same lines when I happened to read the advice and suggestions given here!! I am sure that I can learn a lot from here – lucky I found this forum!!
_________________________________________________
4396508
Re: new owner
Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:24 am
by Pufferpunk
![welcome [welcome]](./images/smilies/welcome.gif)
1" is the norm for these being offered in most shops.