Page 1 of 1

Hi I am new

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:04 pm
by puffykid
Hey long time lurker newly joined member. I currently have a gsp which I got from walmart before I knew all the work that he would require and following this forum was what enabled me to keep him alive. He is currently a small little guy (maybe) and is in a 10 gallon tank that I will upgrade to a 30 gallon by august when I move into my new place. Like what everyone else said I've become really attached to him and love how much personality he has and have spent multiple afternoons sitting around watching him and talk about him to my friends till their ears bleed.

Re: Hi I am new

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:29 pm
by chuckfriedrice
Welcome! They are a blast!

Re: Hi I am new

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:07 pm
by J-P
Welcome to the forum!

Re: Hi I am new

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:54 pm
by puffykid
Hey so I had a few questions. I have just moved him into a 20 g long tank and was wondering how long he will be able to comfortably live in there? He has no one else in the tank and I am running a filter that is meant for a 30 g tank. Also he is around >1.5inches currently. Thanks for your help!

Re: Hi I am new

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:16 pm
by Nuclear_Glitter
I totally recommend getting him moved as soon as possible because there is always growth stunting problems, no matter how small they are currently. When you move out I totally recommend getting something around a 40 gallon or more if possible. 30 gallons for a GSP is said to be the minimum but it also requires CONSTANT attention, you can never skip a water change. Right now, well he is in the 20 gallon you need to make sure you have a water testing kit and you're testing regularly. Also, what filter type (brand) are you using? And how many GPH (gallons per hour) does it do?

Re: Hi I am new

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:53 am
by Michael99
I am sure that the advice given here about taking care of the gsp must have been very useful as it is so important that they are looked after well in the beginning when they come to our place!! I have got some valuable advice from the forum which has helped me to save my puffers a couple of times – great forum!!