Page 1 of 2

Molly Lady turned to Puffer fanatic

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:55 pm
by MsGenetics
Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forums. I've been keeping molly tanks and decided to get a puffer tank.
I got this tiny guy which I have named Mr Angry Kirby. He was sold to me as a
dwarf up to an inch type of puffer. But he seems way more similar to the spotted green puffer fish.
He is very aggressive with the food and seems to be hungry at all times. Very curious the little guy!

Image

Any help will be great for this newbie!

Re: Molly Lady turned to Puffer fanatic

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:14 pm
by Pufferpunk
[welcome]
Yup, you've got a green spotted puffer there!
library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/

Re: Molly Lady turned to Puffer fanatic

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:23 pm
by sevenyearnight
Lol @ Mr. Angry Kirby
What a great name

Re: Molly Lady turned to Puffer fanatic

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:31 pm
by Pufferpunk
Better than "Puffy"!

Re: Molly Lady turned to Puffer fanatic

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:48 pm
by sevenyearnight
Or "puff"

Re: Molly Lady turned to Puffer fanatic

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:49 pm
by sevenyearnight
I like names with titles especially. :)

Re: Molly Lady turned to Puffer fanatic

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:35 am
by MsGenetics
Do they like real rocks to make caves for them?

Re: Molly Lady turned to Puffer fanatic

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:56 am
by Srkoe
What are you feeding him? He looks a bit thin to me. But my puffs are fat (not good either) so I could be wrong. I still find it hard to resist giving them a little extra food when they beg :(

Re: Molly Lady turned to Puffer fanatic

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:57 am
by xrayjeeper83
Yes puffers need a cave and lots of plants to feel safe. Doesnt have to be rocks per say, just something they can hide in.

Re: Molly Lady turned to Puffer fanatic

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:25 am
by MsGenetics
To:Srkoe

I'm pretty sure he wants more food ALL the time. I only feed him once a day.
I'll feed him more. I want him Fat and Pretty.
Thanks!

Re: Molly Lady turned to Puffer fanatic

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:14 am
by Srkoe
You should only have to feed him once per day only until his belly is slightly rounded. Watch his poops, they should be round blobs, not stringy like other fish. If they are stringy, it could be internal parasites. Out of the 17 puffs I have owned only 3 have not shown signs of parasites. Being wild caught, ip's tend to come with the territory. If you notice signs we are here to help :)

Re: Molly Lady turned to Puffer fanatic

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:05 pm
by Pufferpunk
He'll hate you but you should feed 6 days & skip 1/week.

Re: Molly Lady turned to Puffer fanatic

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:28 pm
by MsGenetics
yep! I'm doing once a day food. he seems happier now. The pet shop were i bought said to feed him every other day. That did not suit him.

To :Skroe

Poop is round people poop is round! I threw him a little snail. he enjoyed that waaaaaaay too much.
Also, when you guys do the water change. Does the puffer get stressed for a while?
I noticed the belly was brown for a couple hours, now is white and he's swimming all over the tank again.

Re: Molly Lady turned to Puffer fanatic

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:04 am
by trekenk
Getting stressed during water changes is nothing out of the ordinary. Some get use to it some don't.

Re: Molly Lady turned to Puffer fanatic

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:12 am
by puffermichigan
Lol I love it, I think this is a testament to the individuality of puffers. When I change the water, my GSPs are like, "Gee, ma, this is about the most flippin excitement we've had all week!" They turn bright and get super curious when I vacuum the gravel. I think it can be normal for them to react in all sorts of ways. Mine get quite dark around the edges of their bellies when they sleep. Welcome to the forum, by the way!