Page 1 of 1

Hello! Owner of surprise GSP's...

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:27 pm
by toffeecake
Hallo..

My dear old mum just surprised me with three GSP's to add to my 5 gallon goldfish tank. THREE!!!
The sickest one died one the first night in their temporary home.

I have just set up my new 20 gallon tank fully prepped for brackish water conditions (safe sandy substrate, silk plants, filter, salt, protein skimmer, light etc...)... only I had no time to give it a proper cycle :/ I've added two of my GSP's immediately into the tank. They looked 10 times happier that night.

Anywho...

They seem to be doing 'alright', swimming around occasionally, good skin colour, white bellies, eating the bloodworms (yet to test out more food). I've been warned though that cycling a tank with these sensitive puffers is detrimental, but honestly I have no clue whether to take them out or leave them in and do frequent water changes...

I know 20 gallons isn't even enough for one puffer, but it was the biggest one I could fit into my room. Perhaps in a few months when we move, I can install a huge one in my new room for them. Fortunately, the two of them seem to be quite happy sitting together under the same rock.

I love puffers but i wish I had more time to prepare in advance lol! I feel terrible now. Is there anything more I can do for them?

Re: Hello! Owner of surprise GSP's...

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:29 pm
by Pufferpunk
[welcome]
What SG do you have them at? You might have been better off just putting them into FW for now, since you have a TON of water changes ahead for that tank.
library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/
library/water-filtration/emergencycycle/

Re: Hello! Owner of surprise GSP's...

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:09 am
by toffeecake
hallo, thanks for the reply ^^

It's at 1.015. When in fresh water, the puffers were not flipping their fins at all. One was curled up really tightly sideways, flipping one fin, but the tail/other fin curled up together were immobile. I moved them over into the new tank and a few minutes later he uncurled and was skimming around the tank so I took this to be a good sign :/ not sure! garhhhhh

Thanks for the links

Re: Hello! Owner of surprise GSP's...

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:05 am
by sevenyearnight
Hmm.. would it maybe be possible/better since they are already at 1.015 to acclimate them up a bit more so the tank can be cycled with live rock? I may be wrong, but I think it's virtually impossible to cycle a tank at that salinity, but bringing them back to fresh would seem like going backwards.
I don't know, but someone should be able to tell you what would be best.
Do you have seachem Prime where you live?

Re: Hello! Owner of surprise GSP's...

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:11 am
by toffeecake
hmmm. I live in hong kong and its a bit difficult to find specific brands here...

I have water conditioner that removes chlorine, neutralizes metal substances and apparently 'relieves stress' for the fish.

I was also given 'Azoo 11 in 1 super bio bacteria' which kick starts the cycle process, she told me to add it in every day (but I decided not to since the fish should start the process right?)


Would it be possible to transfer some water/pebbles from a healthy cycled tank to minimize the effects of cycling? I will have to hunt down a fish enthusiast and beg him for some... lol

Re: Hello! Owner of surprise GSP's...

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:07 pm
by Pufferpunk
Anything from a tank that is cycled at 1.015 is good. I agree with seven though, you would be better off to bring that tank up to SW & get live rock from a well-established SW tank & just make it marine & be done with it.

Re: Hello! Owner of surprise GSP's...

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:35 pm
by sevenyearnight
Since you don't have bacteria to concern yourself with, I would dedicate a couple hours, do a 50% - 70% water change, but slowly add the higher salinity exchange water. Shoot for a salinity of 1.020 - 1.022, this will support your live rock bacteria, and it's what I was told the best salinity for GSP's, the higher salinity levels are supposedly bad for their systems...or something having to do with their organs.
Anyway, if you do a 50% water change, your exchange water should be at 1.025 to bring it up to 1.020, then you can add quality, cured, live rock. Your cycle should be no more than 3 days depending on the rock and current water parameters, but could be as little as a few hours.
Here is a calculator to help with the conversion if you decide to do it slower than one water change.
http://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calc ... linity.php
I converted mine within a couple of hours and they did great, but that's your call.

Re: Hello! Owner of surprise GSP's...

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:55 pm
by Srkoe
Wow Seven, that is a cool calculator!!!! A thread should be made and stickied!!!

Re: Hello! Owner of surprise GSP's...

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:40 am
by toffeecake
thanks for all the help ^^

Re: Hello! Owner of surprise GSP's...

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:01 am
by xrayjeeper83
welcome, hope all goes well