Page 1 of 1
SAP's with whitespot/ick :(
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:59 am
by Partypuffer
Ofcourse I had to get ick in my tank... Had my 5x SAP's for a month and noticed ick on them just over a week ago. I used a dosage of contralck in the tank and let it sit for 5 days, seemed the ick was getting better, I then did a 40% waterchange with good bottom sucktion and then added a new dosage of contralck. But instead of getting rid of the excess ick they got loads more... Now the second dosage of contralck has been in the tank for 2 days and the SAP's have become less active but they still have good apetite and come to the glass when I knock on it.
What should I do if the contralck treatment don't work? Should I do another round, get another type of treatment? do a temperature treatment? I am afraid to do anymore chemical treatments than the poor SAP's can handle and I have never done a temperature treatment before...
Re: SAP's with whitespot/ick :(
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:39 am
by Pufferpunk
I would remove those meds & use the method laid out here:
library/hospital/fwich/
What did you add to that tank that carried in the parasite?
Re: SAP's with whitespot/ick :(
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:58 pm
by Partypuffer
Pufferpunk wrote:I would remove those meds & use the method laid out here:
library/hospital/fwich/
What did you add to that tank that carried in the parasite?
I can't say for certain, but I think the puffers had it in them. I've had fish in the tank for months now and the ick only errupted after the puffers were added. They have been quite stressed out and I treated them for worms just a few days after I got them.
Should I wait a few days for the contraIck treatment to be done and do a thorough clean up and water change before starting a temperature treatment or can I start it now?
Re: SAP's with whitespot/ick :(
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:38 pm
by Srkoe
Good luck. I just lost both of my sap's to either ich or velvet

. I don't know how they got it either. Nothing new was added to the tank. I done the heat and salt method as I done in the past with my f8's with no luck. I ended up adding Ich Attack (all natural) to the water and still lost the second one. Soon after adding ich attack Patron actually unclamped his fins so I thought he was doing better but he did die a a few hours later

. Whatever they had came one extremely rapidly and strong. It wiped out my entire tank in a matter of days, first my bleeding hearts then the sap's. I hope you beat this!
Re: SAP's with whitespot/ick :(
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:02 am
by Partypuffer
Going to do a temperature treatment, but what salt should I use, regular house salt? How long should I leave the temperature at 86 degrees before turning it down again?
Re: SAP's with whitespot/ick :(
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:56 am
by Pufferpunk
Yes, table salt is fine. Keep the treatment going for 10 days after the last spot is gone. Also, do 80% WC every other day, cleaning the substrate well to remove any eggs in there.
Re: SAP's with whitespot/ick :(
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:46 pm
by fugu99
Yikes! Well Im in the same boat, almost. Just started my salt/temp treatment. Follow the mentors' advice, and just be sure to wait out the entire treatment and be prepared to go through it a second time if you have a reoccurence. But make sure you keep it up for the five days, then lower everything back down to normal (gradually) to give the fish a break. If you notice symptoms returning, you have to start again but as long as you make the start and finish gradual, youll reduce stress, and keep the treatment steady with daily water changes you should beat this thing. Carefully check the SG/salinity as you go, keep the temp steady. Sorry, Im repeating myself, lol. Its good that your puffers still have appetite and arent lethargic. Good luck! I think SAPs are cute and if I had more room for tanks, which I dont (rrrrgh) Id probably get one.