Fahaka size in relation to it's age?

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
'H'
Puffer Fry
Location (country): England

Fahaka size in relation to it's age?

Post by 'H' »

Hi,
Not sure if this has been asked before, if so can you point me in the right direction.

I've read that Fahakas grow about an inch per month for the first 12 months, is this true?

Then, how quickly do they grow after the first 12 months? (ie. 1 inch every 2 months/ 6 months/ 12 months)

And what was the size it maxed out at?

Maybe it might help if you can say what age your Fahaka is and how long it is

Ideally It would be great if we got answers from people who have actually kept Fahakas and not got the info from a book or
a bloke from the lfs.

Thanks
'H'
Srkoe
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka "Ares"
2 GSP "Wally"&"Marty"
6 Dwarfs "the peas"
2 Figure 8 "Fugu"&"Gizzard"
1 Honeycomb Toby "Ashera"
2 Congo "P-Nut"&"Bevo"
1 mystery puffer (turgidus?)"Manson"
Location (country): United States

Re: Fahaka size in relation to it's age?

Post by Srkoe »

My Fahaka is about 12 months old. He is 7-8 inches with tail fin. I've only owned him about a month. I believe he is on the smallish side. The couple I got him from said he had a very rough start and was very sick with IP's for awhile...not sure this could be the reason he is a little small. They got him last June at about 2". Not much help. I am interested in the answers you might get as well :)
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Most fish grow fastest when young, especial before puberty. Fish never stop growing, but do so very, very slowly when mature to old. So growth rate is inversely related to age. Growth rate is also controlled by the health of the fish and the size of its tank. So you are very likely correct in that you fish is smaller than it should be at a year, and that is very likely due to the IPs -they no doubt slowed it down.

But tank size also matters. You will only see very rapid (normal) growth in young fish if they are in a tank that in no way limits their activity and swimming space. The all-but-standard practice of moving fish from one to another, larger, one as they grow is unlikely to achieve maximum growth rate and full adult size. If the fish is housed initially in the tank in which it will live permanently, it will most likely meet the rates and maximum size seen in the wild. But it will also then live to a much greater age in captivity than the average wild fish achieves.

Your fish is still immature, so can essentially 'catch up' with the normal growth rate and size it should get if you house it and feed it well and keep its tank properly.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
geronimo69
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka Puffer "tetraodon lineatus"
Location (country): Canada

Post by geronimo69 »

MIne is about a year old now and about 8-9" with tail. I got it when it was the size of a quarter (maybe an inch?). He was in a 55 gallon for about 2 months before I moved him into his current and permanent 150 gallon.

I would also think that water conditions will slow/speed up the growth rate of fish. If they are kept in warmer water, their metabolism will be faster and they will be able to eat more, thus growing faster. Clean water with low nitrates will also help their growth rate in my opinion.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish."
Mark Twain
"Fish recognize a bad leader."
Conan O'Brien
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

But warm water hold less O2, so you have to be careful to stay within the fish's natural range. The exercise of the larger tank I'm confident ha an impact, and current may be a variable as well - helps with oxygenation also. But I admit that I was assuming high water quality. It would be gross to a smallish fish in their permanent home with poor water quality - what will happen when they mature?
'H'
Puffer Fry
Location (country): England

Post by 'H' »

Just seen this info on a fish info site:
Size: upto 18" (45cm), but usually smaller in the aquaria - aprox 10"-12"(25cm-30cm)

When I look on youtube, the vast majority seem to be upto 12" big, very rare to see any in the 14"-18" range.

Does this mean that the growth rate severley slows down after the initial first 12 months?
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

And that size difference so often seen in captivity is due to folks not giving their fish the proper size tank from the start. Those who have learned better and do not "move fish up as they 'need' it in tank size" do get mature fish at wild mature sizes. It s called stunting and is pretty standard for most hobbyists. That practice is another of the common hobby myths, and like the other myths (such as the 'benefit' of adding salt to FW tanks chronically) are extremely hard to fight. because they are so wide-spread and almost universal on the web and from fish store misinformation. Much "common knowledge" is only common, it is certainly not real knowledge. This does not apply just to puffers. It applies to all the fish which are too big for common hobby tanks. How many folks have ever even seen full-sized Clown loaches? Or the big cichlids? Or Pacus?

If you want full-sized fish, put them in full-sized tanks from QT and you just might learn something. That is the point of the posts above.

HTH
Kattt
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Post by Kattt »

Mine is about 3-4 inches with tail. I've had him for about 3 months. He came at 1 inch. I have him in 5 gallon tank for now and thinking of transferring him in a bigger tank in a few weeks. Wondering if that's ok?
Thanks!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Hi, I wish you had started a new thread on this.
Figure on 10g/1". What is your end goal for a tank?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"