Page 1 of 1

Has anybody kept zebra danios with pea puffers?

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:50 pm
by Fish buddy
So i was doing some research and i found that zebra danio's inhabit some of the same waters as the pea puffer.I was wanting to get another fish to add to my aquarium with my pea puffers.So my question was has anybody kept zebra danio's in with pea puffers with any success?Thanks.

Re: Has anybody kept zebra danios with pea puffers?

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:20 pm
by Pufferpunk
They should be OK in a large enough tank.

Re: Has anybody kept zebra danios with pea puffers?

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:38 pm
by Lil' Swimz$
Danios are pretty fast, they'd probably eat all the food before they reach the puffs, who usually wait for the bloodworms to kinda float down a bit (not the case with my lorteti, she'll jump for food) but that's the behavior I've noticed with DP's, less so when kept as a singleton.

Re: Has anybody kept zebra danios with pea puffers?

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:54 pm
by Pufferpunk
As long ads I keep plenty of blackworms in the cone feeder, everyone gets a chance at it.

Re: Has anybody kept zebra danios with pea puffers?

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:12 pm
by Fish buddy
Pufferpunk wrote:They should be OK in a large enough tank.
I have a 20g aquarium with just 4 puffers.Would that be ok?

Re: Has anybody kept zebra danios with pea puffers?

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:17 pm
by Pufferpunk
Go for it. Make sure & get 5 or more.

Re: Has anybody kept zebra danios with pea puffers?

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:21 pm
by Fish buddy
Pufferpunk wrote:Go for it. Make sure & get 5 or more.
Thanks for the advice!Im going to go out and buy some zebra danios then! :D

Re: Has anybody kept zebra danios with pea puffers?

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:42 am
by Pufferpunk
Fish buddy wrote:
Pufferpunk wrote:They should be OK in a large enough tank.
I have a 20g aquarium with just 4 puffers.Would that be ok?
I'm mistaken. IDK what you edited in your post. Did you originally say 3 DPs? With 4 DPs in a 20g (1/5g), that tank is fully stocked.

Re: Has anybody kept zebra danios with pea puffers?

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:14 pm
by greenspottedlover
I've kept zebra danios and they usually only harass fish with large fins.

Re: Has anybody kept zebra danios with pea puffers?

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:37 pm
by Blaine
I think zebra danios are too fast and pushy for DP's. They will hog all the food and harass the slow moving DP's. I'd choose something a bit slower and more docile.

Re: Has anybody kept zebra danios with pea puffers?

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:12 pm
by jeromecarlyoung
As said before; your Tank is at it's max (5 Gallon per DP) 4 DPs to 20 Gallon Tank; that's your lot, not even a single other fish.
Nevermind.

-Jerry

Re: Has anybody kept zebra danios with pea puffers?

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:38 pm
by Blaine
I don't agree,...with sufficient filtration you could safely keep a few small dithers in with them.

Re: Has anybody kept zebra danios with pea puffers?

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:52 pm
by shaynabic
I have a 20G high with 2 pea puffers, 3 celestial danios, 1 dwarf crayfish, and a peacock gudgeon. Everyone gets along! I have a few big rocks and 2 heavily planted areas so that hiding is easy if needed. Hope this helps!