Page 1 of 1

New, no puffer yet :D

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:57 pm
by kmeeru
I'm new to the forums, but I've been doing research for a few days on puffers. I have a 20gallon fully cycled tank that once held guppies, moved them into another tank with a bunch of other guppies and cleaned the tank out. So, been trying to figure out specifics, I plan to own one GSP who i believe right now is in pure fresh at Tropical treasures (very nice fish store). Just wanted to introduce myself, I have a lot of questions, about converting to marine, filters, live plants/coral etc.

Re: New, no puffer yet :D

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:13 pm
by Flutter
Welcome :)

However, when you remove the fish from a tank the bacteria die and it is no longer cycled. Especially if you then clean it. How long has the tank been empty? Have you read our articles on GSPs? They require at the absolute minimum a 30gal tank, most recommend a 55gal as they are large and active fish.

Re: New, no puffer yet :D

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:18 pm
by kmeeru
I just got to that, I just rinsed the tank, it's still full of water and so far it's been empty less than 24 hours. I'm looking at larger tanks right now, the puffer I'm looking at is like 1 inch? Was hoping he'd be ok in the 20 tell I get a bigger one setup. My biggest want is to move the tank to marine, but are gsp's compatible with coral? When staring should i plant my 20 gallon and then kill off my plants while going brakish? Does a marine tank take a different filter then a charcoal? Sorry for all the questions, I'm determined not to bring a fish in tell I have it right

Re: New, no puffer yet :D

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:34 pm
by geronimo69
I know this is the Puffer Forum (god bless this awesome site)...but.... If you want to go Marine in a 20 gal, forget the puffers. All the "cycled" stuff won't work either.

This is what I think:

Go full marine with the 20. Get a good light ( I run a 175 Metal Halide) on my 20 gal reef. Lets me grow anything. Combine it with a nice 30 lbs of rock and a 3" sand bed. After it is cycled (anywhere from 4-8 weeks) depending on the quality of your rock and how much has "died off". It should be ready for a clean up crew that consists of snails, crabs and maybe a shrimp. Once they're good and established, you can add a Skimmer (you don't need it if you don't have corals, trust me). A hang on back such as the Aqua C Remora would be awesome. You'd be ready for a few easy to care for, hardy corals after that.

Second, get a bigger tank if you want a puffer. Maybe, as mentioned, a 55 gallon. This will allow you to keep a GSP or even better (if you can find one) a CEYLON.

I'm just saying this from experience. I have a 20 gallon marine tank with 2 little percula (clown fish)... But for my puffers, I have a 55 gallon brackish (1.017) for my single Ceylon and a 150 gallon for my single Fahaka.

Re: New, no puffer yet :D

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:43 am
by Pufferpunk
[welcome]
Yes, a 20g will suffice for a while with a juvie (<2") GSP. Do keep in mind, you will have to move everything over when you upgrade.

Re: New, no puffer yet :D

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:10 am
by kmeeru
I'm going to visit another fish store tomorrow, and look for a bigger tank, I'm still curious about the conversion and keeping a tank planted. DO you plant a tank that you'll be changing from fresh to brakish?

Re: New, no puffer yet :D

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:14 am
by Flutter
I wouldn't. You can decorate with rocks and fake decorations from the very beginning :) If you want plants you can keep macroalgae once you reach a higher SG.

Re: New, no puffer yet :D

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:37 am
by Srkoe
Look on your local Craigslist for a "new" tank. You can often find really good deals on complete setups, stand, tank, pumps, filter, heater...everything!!! I bought my 55gallon with nice stand, filter, lighting etc for $150!!! Of course I had to add and upgrade a few things but I saved so much money!!! The setup was well over $500 new at the store!