Page 1 of 1
Hi! Another Newbi
Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:50 am
by pirasha
Hi!
I'm from (well currently living anyway) in Central Pa. I have not acquired a puffer fish as of yet,however I will be getting a Figure eight when I'm ready for one...I like taking things very slow and making sure I know everything about them first ^_^ I feel its a good way to be.
Anyway as I have been research F8 I always seem to find myself back here and so I thank you all for the advice that I have already acquired from you and the advice I am sure to receive in the future.
Re: Hi! Another Newbi
Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:08 am
by Pufferpunk
![welcome [welcome]](./images/smilies/welcome.gif)
Now that's the kind of 1st post I love to see! So many folks come on here after they've bought a puffer, asking why it's dying in their too small, uncycled tank. Have you seen our F8 article in the Library here?
What fishkeeping experience do you have so far? How large of a tank are you planning?
Re: Hi! Another Newbi
Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:24 am
by Troender
It's always nice to hear people do research first.

Re: Hi! Another Newbi
Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:11 pm
by pirasha
I have read the f8 article in the library...that's actually the article that lead me here^_^ As for tank set up I have just acquired (through craigslist YAY!) a 30 gall tank that I want to set up with a sand bottom and I'm currently in the process of acquiring awesome driftwood, smooth stones, and plants for the tank.
I have been researching live plants that can take brackish water...so I may go with live plants but I'm not sure as of yet..still researching that
In the tank I want to get one figure eight puffer and have recently been playing around with the idea of bumblebee gobies (do not know much about them....just started researching them a couple of days ago)
As I have said...I like doing research before getting anything ^_^ As for other experience I currently have a 5 gall planted aquarium which currently houses a guppy and many many ramshorn and pond snails (guess why) and am taking care of/using for research a marine tank which currently houses a sea urchin, feather duster, couple of hermit crabs, snails, and many many microscopic worms (harmless) that I am currently researching. Previously I have had bettas which I love, countless guppies (like everyone else I feel) catfish, plecos, otos. I found that I am not a fan of the community tank...I really just like having a few charismatic fish in a tank that I can individually spoil rather them a group of schooling fish.
Re: Hi! Another Newbi
Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:46 pm
by Pufferpunk
Use the aragonite sand, to keep your pH steady around 8.