Page 1 of 1

When to trim?

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:36 pm
by Piker
Hi

Picked up a F8 several weeks ago. Was going to pick up some dwarfs but came across this guy and he was way too personable. A quick google search on my bb resulted in several websites stating it was freshwater. However I see now that its best to keep this guy in light brackish. He's in with some livebearers atm but hoping to get a brackish tank going soon.

Anyhow I think I may have to trim his teeth as he's a lil bucktooth. :lol: I feed him krill, snails, worms, scallops and flakes(he steals them from the platies). However I have to crush the live snails for him to be able to eat it. I don't think he can open his mouth far enough for the snails. Here's a vid I took, maybe someone can advise.

Image

Image

Re: When to trim?

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:09 pm
by Pufferpunk
He's definitely ready.

Re: When to trim?

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:19 pm
by Piker
Pufferpunk wrote:He's definitely ready.
Thanks

The clove oil I picked up did not have a dropper so I put in 0.2ml into 5 cups aquarium water. Once he rolled I put him back into clean water to work on him. Its not quite easy trimming their teeth, there thicker than I thought. Hopefully they dont have nerves like we do or thats gonna be one hell of a tooth ache.

Re: When to trim?

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:24 pm
by Pufferpunk
Please let this be the last time you use clove oil. It is used mostly for euthanasia. MS222 (Finquel) is much more highly recommended for tranquilizing. A dropper is easy to find for measurement. I hope you didn't overdose. How is he now?

Re: When to trim?

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:29 pm
by purplecandle
Has he recovered?

In the future stay away from Clove oil. Now that they are trimmed you should not have to trim them again as long as you stick to hard shelled foods.

Re: When to trim?

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:10 pm
by Piker
Couldn't find Finquel. Even online. The puffers fine. Could have done a better job on the teeth but I'm hoping your right and this is the last time. I've got a tank full of ramsnails, pond snails and shrimp. May I ask whats the difference between the 2. Both are used to euthanize the fish so I'm guessing they're both lethal.

Edit: Nevermind, found library/hospital/dentistry/

Re: When to trim?

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:25 pm
by Flutter
I crush all of our snails first. If I don't the puffers just bite the foot/flesh off and leave everything that's in the shell.

Your vet can get you some MS-222. They can order it online or possibly through their supplier. My vet just ordered it online and then gave it to me.

Re: When to trim?

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:49 pm
by J-P
Piker wrote:Couldn't find Finquel. Even online. The puffers fine. Could have done a better job on the teeth but I'm hoping your right and this is the last time. I've got a tank full of ramsnails, pond snails and shrimp. May I ask whats the difference between the 2. Both are used to euthanize the fish so I'm guessing they're both lethal.

Edit: Nevermind, found library/hospital/dentistry/

It was confirmed by Myaj and others that clove oil is carcinogenic. It is never fully removed from the fish's system and trace amounts may reside in the fatty tissues, liver etc... With each dose it takes longer and longer for the fish to recover and eventually they do not recover.

MS-222 is different and is actually used as a transport additive to ship exotic fish world wide (especially the larger ones).

http://www.argent-labs.com/argentwebsite/ms-222.htm

That is where I got mine from.

Re: When to trim?

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:28 am
by Pufferpunk
The other problem is when using clove oil the puffer stops breathing, which can cause permanent brain damage. Not so with MS222.

Re: When to trim?

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:52 pm
by Iliveinazoo
Depending on the other fishes in your tank you may be able to raise the salinity slightly of your current tank. The link below describes that Platies can adapt to low salinity systems:
http://homepage.mac.com/nmonks/Projects/FAQ/6e.html