Page 1 of 1

Question about figure 8 puffers?

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:17 pm
by Fish buddy
I was considering getting 2 figure 8 puffers for my 20g aquarium.would that be ok?

Re: Question about figure 8 puffers?

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:22 pm
by jtbadco
I'd stick to one F8 in a 20 gal.....get a few BB gobys for tankmates.

Re: Question about figure 8 puffers?

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:01 pm
by RTR
In a standard 20, I'd stick with just the F-8. A 15 is the minimum tank size for an f-8 alone - that does not mean it is the optimum, I would not add BBGs short of a 30-long myself.

There is not a huge difference between minimum and optimum. I do not like to cut my water quality by pushing stocking to the edge. I do try to keep my wet pets beyond minimum water volumes - it gives me a better margin of safety.

Re: Question about figure 8 puffers?

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:58 pm
by JRC3
RTR wrote:...A 15 is the minimum tank size for an f-8 alone - that does not mean it is the optimum...

There is not a huge difference between minimum and optimum. I do not like to cut my water quality by pushing stocking to the edge. I do try to keep my wet pets beyond minimum water volumes - it gives me a better margin of safety.
Then maybe it is time to start saying that a 20g is minimum.

If only we knew of an F8 guru that could help change that "requirement". *big wink*

Re: Question about figure 8 puffers?

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:08 pm
by Iliveinazoo
JRC3 wrote: Then maybe it is time to start saying that a 20g is minimum.

If only we knew of an F8 guru that could help change that "requirement". *big wink*
I wouldn't say that it is necessary to change and would disagree with RTR that there is not much difference between minimum and optimum as the definition of optimum is "the best possible conditions" which would probably be a pristine tropical coastal stream but not many of us have them in our back garden :wink: however I'm sure we understand the point that he was making.

The Pufferpedia suggests a volume that will help to keep your water conditions satisfactory and stable with enough swimming room for the fish. A figure of 15(US)G has been suggested for 1 and 10(US)G on top of that for each extra F8 you wish to add therefore for the OP's orginal proposal it would mean that they are 5(US)G overstocked instead of 5(US)G "understocked"

Re: Question about figure 8 puffers?

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:37 pm
by RTR
I see no reason to change the Pufferpedia. The options are specified. Minimum is just that - no other livestock. Optimum is also sufficient as is. I cannot read any difference in fish carefully maintained in 15s and 20s, but fish in 20-longs are more active for me than fish in standard 20s. That is a hint that more footprint/swimming length is responded to.but does not change lifespan. So the figures given are full valid.

Folks want to decrease the puffer's volume by adding other fish. So far as I am concerned, that is a no-no in a 15 and I would never say it is acceptable. In larger tanks it may be possible. Personally, I would not keep two F-8s in less than a 30-long, and would prefer a 33XL.

But the real bottom line is any size tank is how it is maintained. Those of us who contributed to the PufferPedia info did so with the mindset of our own tank-keeping practices- generally that is excellent filtration and filter upkeep, with 50% weekly partials and proper or appropriate substrate upkeep. That is really the biggie. If others do not do their tank upkeep properly and consistently, the minimum or optimum tank sizes would need to be adjusted upward to way upward. Remember PP's sig line - "the solution to pollution is dilution" - that is just as important and can easily over-ride tank size. Also the feeding has to equally appropriate to the fish.

No one factor in tank-keeping can stand alone - they all interact and are all important.

HTH