Page 1 of 2

Hello puffer lovers!

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:18 pm
by Vaughany
Hello I'm new to this site and thunk it's fab
I currently have a biorb life 60l tank with tropical
Fish mainly dwarf gouramis bumble gobies
And tetras I love them but I love puffers more!
Was thinking about re homing them and getting
A figure eight any thoughts?! I have some pufferfish experience
With dp's but wAnted something bigger this time all replies
Much appreciated thank u

Re: Hello puffer lovers!

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:08 pm
by Pufferpunk
[welcome]
That should work for a single F8.

Re: Hello puffer lovers!

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:37 pm
by LilGreenPuffer
Welcome!

Here's an article to get you started.
library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/

Re: Hello puffer lovers!

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:27 pm
by xrayjeeper83
ello

Re: Hello puffer lovers!

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:44 pm
by mairdan13
[welcome]


always wanted to use that icon :)

Re: Hello puffer lovers!

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:04 pm
by Vaughany
Thanks for that article very helpful and thanks
To all for the welcome! Just wondering how to
Go about changing my cycled established tank into
Brackish this is new to me! Dont want to upset my established tank
Many thanks

Re: Hello puffer lovers!

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:13 pm
by Dadof4
I have explained it in a post here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19348
The trick is to go slowly and make sure you so not raise your SG more than .002 per week, you must be especially careful in the 1.010-1.016 range because of changing and new bacterias.

Re: Hello puffer lovers!

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:22 pm
by JRC3
How much filtration does the Biorb have on the 60l?
Dadof4 wrote:...you must be especially careful in the 1.010-1.016 range because of changing and new bacterias.
He/she is going with a fig 8 so that shouldn't be a problem.

Re: Hello puffer lovers!

Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:25 pm
by Dadof4
I need to read things better, I read GSP.....

Re: Hello puffer lovers!

Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:56 am
by Vaughany
The biorb has some ceramic media at the bottom of the tank which unfortunately means no sand ?? and I heard puffers like this - I have large feng shei pebbles on top of this to protect my fish from scraping. Then it has a cartridge at the bottom of the tank which water flows through - this has a sponge and carbon filter in it - It works well for my fish as my water parameters are good.
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
20-30 nitrate.

Or the other option is to sell and buy a larger tank - anyone keep f8 successfully with other fish i was hoping to keep my gobies.
Thanks again

Re: Hello puffer lovers!

Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:10 am
by Pufferpunk
I think the nitrate is getting trapped in that substrate. I'd remove that substrate & add aragonite sand for him. Be sure to rinse it well.

Re: Hello puffer lovers!

Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:54 pm
by Vaughany
Sorry if I'm being stupid but having sand means I won't Be able to use to use the cartridge filter in the centre of the tank as anything smaller than a pea size gets stuck in the filter and stops it working ? I would love to have a sand bottom for my tank but can't see how it would work? Thanks

Re: Hello puffer lovers!

Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:39 pm
by xrayjeeper83
If you wash the sand before putting it in, it doesnt get kicked up as easy. And you turn off your pump when doing water changes

Re: Hello puffer lovers!

Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:37 pm
by Dadof4
Also when you add sand, add it to an empty aquarium. Add the sand, place an over turned plate on the sand and let the water run on to the sand. It will not create a sand storm that way.

Re: Hello puffer lovers!

Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:52 pm
by ~reefchik~
Well gosh...I posted to this thread a minute ago but it didn't show.

He can't use sand. The BiOrb has a small circular UGF and anything smaller than a pea will clog it up. If it was mine, I'd make up a couple bags with nitrate reducer and hide them in the gravel around the filter. That should help with the little nitrate factory.