Page 1 of 1

Greetings from Southern Indiana.

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:59 pm
by El Scorpio
Thought I would introduce myself as the latest addition to TPF. My name is Gary and I'm a 30 year old computer techie. I've been keeping fish, mostly cichlids, for a long time but two months ago I set up and cycled (properly, I might add) a marine tank specifically for a puffer. The water conditions in this tank have been pristine for a few weeks now, so yesterday I picked up a Hawaiian white spotted toby (Canthigaster Jactator) at a specialist in Louisville, KY.

This is only the second puffer I've ever had; last year I lost my green spotted pufferfish that I had for several years, so while I'm not new to fishkeeping, I am new to puffers, and this is the first saltwater specimen I've had.

Anyway, that's me in a nutshell; I look forward to meeting you all and learning as much as I can about my new pet.

Re: Greetings from Southern Indiana.

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:00 pm
by Aquarist
Welcome to the forum. Glad that you are with us. Sorry about the GSP. You will learn alot here :)

Re: Greetings from Southern Indiana.

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:54 pm
by J-P
Welcome to the forum!!

Sounds like a cutie!! any pics as of yet?

Re: Greetings from Southern Indiana.

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:28 pm
by ~reefchik~
Welcome and congrats on your new tank and puffer.

Re: Greetings from Southern Indiana.

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:29 pm
by El Scorpio
My old GSP lived a good life. I got him from my sister after she had him for 3 years, and I had him for about 8 years when he died. There was nothing wrong with the water, and he wasn't injured or sick, so I do believe he died of old age - something a lot of puffs mis-labeled as freshwater cannot claim.

I do have some pics of the new white spotted toby - he's in my avatar, and I have some I'll post on the forum later for everyone.

Re: Greetings from Southern Indiana.

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:31 pm
by Pufferpunk
[welcome]
11 years for a GSP isn't too bad... What SG did he wind up in?

Re: Greetings from Southern Indiana.

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:12 am
by El Scorpio
I acclimated my GSP to about SG 1.018 when he was about 4 1/2 inches long, which he lived in for the rest of his life; about 4 more years.

Re: Greetings from Southern Indiana.

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:00 am
by Flutter
Welcome :)