New to forum and puffer fish :) Hi
Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:21 am
Hello everyone,
Im Louise, I have 3 Leopard Puffer fish and love them to bits they are fantastic. I have only had them a week so lots and lots of learning to do.
Im having trouble with their feeding at the moment and getting so much different info from where i bought them now I have no idea whats wrong and whats right......hence finding you guys I need help lol.
When I bought them I was told to feed them live mussels and it would be fine to buy from the supermarket... which i did I washed them and dropped 3 into the tank almost instantly the water turned w murky milky colour which shocked me but the puffers demolished two of them, i took the other one plus the empty shells out and paniced as the water colour and the hiddious smell of fish from the tank. and my poor babies look massive their bellies were double the size and lumpy, they lost colour and just sat at the bottom of the tank, it took 3 days for the water to clear and on the 3rd day the puffers were back to normal. (safe to say I will NEVER be doing that again)
So back to the shop to have my water tested and get some more advice on feeding them they found ammonia in the water and a water change had to be done. As for feeding I was told the advice given was wrong and should not have bought from the super market. They showed me there frozen food for puffers and I bought whold cockals and cockals in shells.
I fed the puffers yesterday just a small amount of cockal prob the size of a 50p between all 3, i had to pop out so couldn't watch them feed. when i got back I had a big shock to find one of my puffers even bigger than when he ate the mussels, his tummy has gone down a bit today but his still a bit big.
What do I do, how often do i feed them, whats the best things to feed them and how much, I love these little guys and really want to learn how to look after them properly just seems the info im getteing from the shop is not real god.
Kind regards
Louise
Im Louise, I have 3 Leopard Puffer fish and love them to bits they are fantastic. I have only had them a week so lots and lots of learning to do.
Im having trouble with their feeding at the moment and getting so much different info from where i bought them now I have no idea whats wrong and whats right......hence finding you guys I need help lol.
When I bought them I was told to feed them live mussels and it would be fine to buy from the supermarket... which i did I washed them and dropped 3 into the tank almost instantly the water turned w murky milky colour which shocked me but the puffers demolished two of them, i took the other one plus the empty shells out and paniced as the water colour and the hiddious smell of fish from the tank. and my poor babies look massive their bellies were double the size and lumpy, they lost colour and just sat at the bottom of the tank, it took 3 days for the water to clear and on the 3rd day the puffers were back to normal. (safe to say I will NEVER be doing that again)
So back to the shop to have my water tested and get some more advice on feeding them they found ammonia in the water and a water change had to be done. As for feeding I was told the advice given was wrong and should not have bought from the super market. They showed me there frozen food for puffers and I bought whold cockals and cockals in shells.
I fed the puffers yesterday just a small amount of cockal prob the size of a 50p between all 3, i had to pop out so couldn't watch them feed. when i got back I had a big shock to find one of my puffers even bigger than when he ate the mussels, his tummy has gone down a bit today but his still a bit big.
What do I do, how often do i feed them, whats the best things to feed them and how much, I love these little guys and really want to learn how to look after them properly just seems the info im getteing from the shop is not real god.
Kind regards
Louise
![welcome [welcome]](./images/smilies/welcome.gif)