Page 1 of 1

Hello, planning my first puffer tank :)

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:42 pm
by ballyhoo
Hi everyone,
I'm new to puffers but not to fish.
I am starting a puffer tank. RIght now its cycling with some danios and is lightly planted. I plan to plant more and go with some fresh water puffers.
I'm a 20 yr old collage student in Raleigh NC.
-Bally

Re: Hello, planning my first puffer tank :)

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:43 pm
by J-P
Welcome to the forum!! You've come to the right place ;)

Any idea of what kinds you would like to get?

Re: Hello, planning my first puffer tank :)

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:53 pm
by ballyhoo
I would like to stick with freshwater puffers. I was looking at South American puffers as they are the least aggressive because I'd like to do a few of them

Re: Hello, planning my first puffer tank :)

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:52 pm
by J-P
those are very high energy and very nervous fish. Many people have been disappointed by their "non-puffer" like behavior. You turn on the lights and they freak out. Disturb the water and they freak out. Try and feed them and they freak out. Usually the temper tantrum only lasts a few minutes if you have a very large tank with lots of places to explore. Smaller tanks I have heard that it can last for days until they get used to a rhythm.

Re: Hello, planning my first puffer tank :)

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:00 pm
by Flutter
+1

I wouldn't keep them in anything smaller than a 50gal and IMO even that's too small. That's what I had mine in and they weren't comfortable in it so now they're in J-P's 210gal (and from what I hear they're still overly neurotic).

Re: Hello, planning my first puffer tank :)

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:07 pm
by Ohyouknow
Well welcome to the forum :) What size tank are you looking into? Depending on how large you are willing to (or permitted to) go, it can limit your choices quite a bit. Depending on where you are staying, some dorms limit the size of tank you are allowed to have. If you want a few of some puffers, but don't want to go too big I'd suggest DP's. In a 20gal tank, you could have 4 or 5, lots of hidey spots and although I've never owned one - hear they are great big characters in itty bitty packages.