Page 1 of 1

Hi there!

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:26 am
by HoneyJubilee
Hi! My name is Amy. I don't have a puffer, or even a saltwater tank (yet!), but after spending the last few days reading the forum and researching puffers and saltwater I decided to register and introduce myself :D

Currently I've just got a 15gal freshwater tank with guppies, cory cats and a nasty snail infestation.

A few days ago my boyfriend and I visited our small local saltwater fish store to look at light fixtures for his freshwater planted tank (besides the saltwater shop all we've got nearby is a Petsmart). While we were there I saw a porcupine puffer and instantly fell in love. Since then I've been trying to learn all I can about them and figure out how to fit an appropriately sized tank in my apartment (actually, I'm more concerned about the weight of a tank that big than I am about the space it'll take up). I doubt I'll be able to get a tank for a while, so for now I'm just gathering information and daydreaming about having an enormous tank.

Re: Hi there!

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:49 am
by SammyDee
[welcome]

Re: Hi there!

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:33 am
by Pufferpunk
Hi, You do know there are tons of FW puffers, right?

Re: Hi there!

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:07 am
by pufferpuggirl
Hi, welcome to the forum. I was thinking the exact same thing as what PufferPunk posted. You could always get some freshwater puffers until a time when you can afford to get a bigger (much bigger) tank for the porcupine puffer. Freshwater puffers can be loads of fun too, and there are lots to choose from. Take a look at the PufferPedia (click on the "learn" tab at the top of the page), there's all sorts of puffers in there. :D

Re: Hi there!

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:26 am
by PolishPuff
Right.

4 out of 5 of my tanks are fresh water.

Re: Hi there!

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:15 pm
by HoneyJubilee
Pufferpunk wrote:Hi, You do know there are tons of FW puffers, right?
Yeah, I've been reading up on a few of the FW ones too. If I went that way I'd have to order one online - I've never seen FW puffers locally. For some reason ordering fish online makes me nervous. I'd rather be able to watch the fish for a while and pick one out than just have one dropped off on my porch, I guess. I'd still need a new tank since I don't think a puffer would work out very well in my guppy tank.

The little porcupine I saw the other day was the first live puffer I've ever seen. It's started a real SW fascination for me. I'd probably start small and make sure I could handle the maintenance of a SW tank instead of going straight for the porc.

Re: Hi there!

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:20 pm
by xrayjeeper83
welcome

Re: Hi there!

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:23 pm
by PolishPuff
I've never seen FW puffers locally.
Did you try asking your LFS if they can order some Puffers for you?

Re: Hi there!

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:34 pm
by HoneyJubilee
PolishPuff wrote:
I've never seen FW puffers locally.
Did you try asking your LFS if they can order some Puffers for you?
All we've got here for FW fish is a Petsmart. I can ask about special ordering one, but I doubt they'd do it.

Re: Hi there!

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:40 pm
by PolishPuff
HoneyJubilee wrote:
PolishPuff wrote:
I've never seen FW puffers locally.
Did you try asking your LFS if they can order some Puffers for you?
All we've got here for FW fish is a Petsmart. I can ask about special ordering one, but I doubt they'd do it.
Yeah, I dont think they will.

Re: Hi there!

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:58 pm
by Pufferpunk
You'd be surprised. I've found some pretty cool Mom & Pop stores in some very out of the way places...