Page 1 of 1

Howdy All!

Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:21 pm
by BiggieSmalls
Hello, I am new to puffers but have been a fw hobbyist for many years. I recently re-homed all the fish in my 30 gallon fw community tank in preparation to house a gsp. I have always been interested in puffers but was reluctant to venture into brackish water but decided to give it a go.

After calling every LFS, I finally found one that had gsp's in stock. They had maybe 4 or 5 but only one looked healthy. Just to see what kind of answer I'd get I asked the suspected store manager/owner how many I could have in a 30 gallon. His reply was 6 or 7! :shock: One of the employees sold me aquarium salt to raise the salinity. My dumb fault because I knew better. Oh well. Despite the bad advice I decided to buy the big, healtyh looking one. My bf named him Biggie Smalls.

He seems to be doing well. Nice white belly, very vibrant green color, eating well (ramshorn snails, frozen raw shrimp and frozen bloodworms) and pacing has slowed considerably. His habitat is a work in progress but compared to the bare tank he was in, I think he's pleased.

Anywho, I'm over to the brackish section to post a question about tank mates and decor.

Thanx for all the great info TPF! :D

Re: Howdy All!

Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:23 pm
by J-P
Welcome to the forum!! Sounds like you're off to a good start!

Re: Howdy All!

Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:16 pm
by PolishPuff
[welcome]

Re: Howdy All!

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:10 am
by SammyDee
Welcome...

LOLZ I had to reread your name at first. I thought it said "BIGGYSNAILS" lol musta been thinking about snails err something.

Re: Howdy All!

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:02 am
by xrayjeeper83
and we all know sammy has been spending a lot of time talking to his puffers now lol


Welcome biggie

Re: Howdy All!

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:23 am
by Pufferpunk
[welcome]
How long ago did you clear out that tank? Are you feeding the bacteria?

Re: Howdy All!

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:35 am
by pufferpuggirl
Welcome and sounds like you've given Biggie a nice home. We'd like some pictures if you can upload some! :D

Re: Howdy All!

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:09 am
by BiggieSmalls
Thanks for the warm welcome guys and gals. I have already found a ton of good info. on this site. Will be spending alot of time here.
SammyDee wrote:Welcome...

LOLZ I had to reread your name at first. I thought it said "BIGGYSNAILS" lol musta been thinking about snails err something.
hehe, I actually think that's quite clever. :lol:
Pufferpunk wrote:[welcome]
How long ago did you clear out that tank? Are you feeding the bacteria?
I removed the fw fish, filter, gravel, large lace rocks and 10 gallons of the exisiting water over to a ten gallon the day I picked Biggie up. I then removed an additional 5 gallons from the 30 g tank, added sand substrate and topped off with a mix of RO water and seasoned tap. My best friends son took what he wanted of the fw fish that same night and I kept the remainder in an additional ten gallon I have cycled where only a few cory cats and a pair of guppies reside.

I drip acclimated Biggie in a bucket for aprox. 1 hour. I then added him, the lace rock and the filter back to the 30g. The filter or the lace rock was never out of water or away from fish poo for more than seconds at a time. Do you think this was adequate?

Re: Howdy All!

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:17 am
by Pufferpunk
More than adequate. Sounds like you're a seasoned hobbyist!

Re: Howdy All!

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:37 am
by BiggieSmalls
I've kept fw on and off for quite some time but still make dumb mistakes and have TONS more to learn.

Re: Howdy All!

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:50 am
by ironbone
it seems like everyone that joins does their research so to speak,always have qs
almost any question be answered whether be research or member sugestions.welcome to the forum.use the data available

Re: Howdy All!

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:07 pm
by pufferpuggirl
Making mistakes is part of life and when we stop making them, I think we stop living. It's natural. :wink: