Here we go all over again... Homer & Marge Pt 2

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
Martin Hi.
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon erythrotaenia

Re: one of my Palembang's laid EGGS!!!!!!!! Please HELP

Post by Martin Hi. »

hi,
Homer wrote:Any way, i was also wondering, is there any way to tell weather or not the eggs are fertile? i only ask coz i think i may have saw something wriggle around in one or two of the egg sacks today, but can't be 100% sure either since i could just be getting too excited and starting to see things :dazed:
puffereggs are transparent in the first days. in the end you will see little fish in it.
eggs that have not been fertilized are getting white after some hours to about a day or so. they usually get mold fungus. if the eggs are still with the male adult, he should remove them. if not, you should do that. fungus is the main cause of death in the first days of the eggs and also in the first days of the larvae!
martin
Homer
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 200G - 1X Fahaka Puffer
60G - Planted Tank (Panda Loaches / Celestial Pearl Danios / Clown Killi / CRS / Needle Nose Pike)
50G - Planted Tank (CRS only tank)
Location (country): Hong Kong

Post by Homer »

^ Thanks again for the info :D... looking at the eggs just now, they don't seem to have changed much in color over the last few days, so i take it that they should be okay? although with that being said, if after a few more days they still haven't hatched or i don't not see anything moving inside the egg sack, i'll be removing the eggs...
Sleep is the cousin of Death...
puffertt77
Suspended
My Puffers: Mbu Puffer named Naboo
South American Puffer named Bollo RIP :(
3 Dwarf Puffers yet to be named
Red Eye Red Tailed Puffer - Returned to LFS for being to vicious
Porky the Porcupine
Pup the Dogface

Post by puffertt77 »

Homer wrote:^ Thanks again for the info :D... looking at the eggs just now, they don't seem to have changed much in color over the last few days, so i take it that they should be okay? although with that being said, if after a few more days they still haven't hatched or i don't not see anything moving inside the egg sack, i'll be removing the eggs...
Hey Homer

Is it possible to hold a light behind them where they are?

Might be easier to see the babies that way :D
Image Image
Homer
Green Spotted Puffer
60G - Planted Tank (Panda Loaches / Celestial Pearl Danios / Clown Killi / CRS / Needle Nose Pike)

Post by Homer »

^hmmmmmm.... i might just be able to shine a flash light through the side of the tank to check it out... although there are a good 30 or so eggs that are reasonably visible... just hard to get a pic of coz of the angle :grump:
Martin Hi.
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Martin Hi. »

hi,
why didn't you get them out yet? when will you do that? as soon as they hatch, they are lost, in my opinion... :(

martin
recombinantrider
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon nigroviridis (GSP)
Takifugu ocellatus (Fugu puffer)

Post by recombinantrider »

Congratulations Homer! Wow after reading the whole thread I have a strong urge to call up my parents who live in Hong Kong to see if they can keep a puffer for me :) This is so exciting and I hope they will make it!
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

Martin, this batch may be lost no matter what.. not every person has a few extra tanks setup and is prepared to raise a bunch of fry. Just gettng the feeding planned out and the food ready is a huge hassle for someone who's not an experienced breeder.

Next time around he'll have a much better idea of what to do/expect.
Bogwoodbruce
On Probation
My Puffers: 1x T. Mbu (Dwaine)

Post by Bogwoodbruce »

Good to hear that they still have eggs, nice work mate :) I wouldnt be that bothered about raising them myself as ive been told by my bosses that it was very difficult to raise suvatti from young so i imagine that it would be the same with other sp. Id be happy with being able to say that your puffers are happy enough in your care to breed.

How many puffer keepers can say that they've managed to breed them?
Martin Hi.
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Martin Hi. »

hi,
Myaj wrote:Martin, this batch may be lost no matter what.. not every person has a few extra tanks setup and is prepared to raise a bunch of fry. Just gettng the feeding planned out and the food ready is a huge hassle for someone who's not an experienced breeder.

Next time around he'll have a much better idea of what to do/expect.
don't understand! he said himself, that he wanted to seperate some eggs an raise some of the larvae. if not: why would we talk about it here? am i wasting my time...?
you do not need "a few extra tanks" to raise some puffer-larvae! but you will need at least one. getting some artemia-naupliae ready each day is also not a problem for noone, i think...
martin
Homer
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Homer »

^ Hey Martin, please don't look at this as if i was wasting your time, since i am really grateful for all the advice you and all the other members here have given me :worship:

Its just that as i mentioned in one of my previous posts, the egg sacks themselves appear to be stuck on a piece of semi-large driftwood which i can't exactly remove from the tank without causing a lot of problems and was wondering if there would be any way to remove the eggs without damaging them??? But seeing as no one really had a solid answer on how to possibly do this, i took it as a sign that it maybe best to just leave the eggs there and see what happens rather than risk removing them and killing them?

Any way, some good news, i'm now some what sure most of the eggs seem to be fertile (if not all?), judging by the fact there seems to be little dark spots in the middle which weren't there yesterday, at least i don't think i saw any??? So i'm planning on taking tmr off and keeping a close eye out on them so that hopefully i might be able to catch them as they hatch either some time tmr or over the weekend (fingers crossed) so that i can try and place as many as i can into a small (20Litre Long?) tank i should have ready by tonight...

Either way, weather or not they survive i know is going to be a HUGE gamble, with chances most likely being that they won't, (since i'll be the first to admit i have absolutely no experience with breeding fish :( ) but however this turns out, its going to have been a good learning curve for me, and now at least i'll know if this ever happens again i'll be more prepared with every thing i need to do and have sorted before hand :thumb:

So once again thank you all so far for all the encouragement and words of advise and i'll definitely keep you all updated as things move along...
Martin Hi.
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Martin Hi. »

hi,
Homer wrote: Its just that as i mentioned in one of my previous posts, the egg sacks themselves appear to be stuck on a piece of semi-large driftwood which i can't exactly remove from the tank without causing a lot of problems and was wondering if there would be any way to remove the eggs without damaging them??? But seeing as no one really had a solid answer on how to possibly do this, i took it as a sign that it maybe best to just leave the eggs there and see what happens rather than risk removing them and killing them?

Any way, some good news, i'm now some what sure most of the eggs seem to be fertile (if not all?), judging by the fact there seems to be little dark spots in the middle which weren't there yesterday, at least i don't think i saw any??? So i'm planning on taking tmr off and keeping a close eye out on them so that hopefully i might be able to catch them as they hatch either some time tmr or over the weekend (fingers crossed) so that i can try and place as many as i can into a small (20Litre Long?) tank i should have ready by tonight...
@ 1: i told you, how to remove them. everyone does it like this and it is no problem for the eggs. the risk is higher to leave them with the adults.
@2: the problem is, that the adults will eat them as soon as the hatch. it is much more difficult to get some of them then removing the eggs.
nevertheless: good luck!
martin
Homer
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Homer »

^ thanks again for the advice, and warning... i guess it will really be down to luck then weather or not i catch them as they hatch or not... but on the lighter note, at least i have 2 pieces of slate ready to go in the tank once these guys hatch, so at least IF my palembangs ever decide to mate again, then hopefully they'll lay their eggs there and i can remove them before they hatch :D
Homer
Green Spotted Puffer

And so it Begins...

Post by Homer »

Okay, it seems my first batch of Baby Palembangs have started to slowly hatch today, and so far i've managed to collect about 4 of the ones i managed to spot in the tank... Now i guess its just a matter of waiting and constantly spotting them to hopefully be able to save as many as i can and give raising them a shot, although i know mortality rates seem to be high???

Lastly, i just want to ask, around how many days should i wait before i start feeding them??? coz it seems like they still got their egg sacks possibly stuck to them, since they look like they are all puffed up??? (will try and get some pics up later today)
Martin Hi.
Figure 8 Puffer

Re: And so it Begins...

Post by Martin Hi. »

hi,
Homer wrote:although i know mortality rates seem to be high???

Lastly, i just want to ask, around how many days should i wait before i start feeding them??? coz it seems like they still got their egg sacks possibly stuck to them, since they look like they are all puffed up??? (will try and get some pics up later today)
mortality rates are very low, if you follow what i have told you. nearly every fish will live.
@2: that depends on temperature the size of the new tank and so on. usually 2-3 days. just watch the egg sacks: if they are nearly gone they will start eating. start with living artemia naupliae! if you are not sure, what the right time is throw only s a little amount of artemia into the tank! if it was too early, they will nit eat. ;)
martin
Homer
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Homer »

^ Thanks, i've got to see if i can find Artemia Naupliae since living in Hong Kong they tend to only know products by Chinese names :? but the good news is i did get my LFS to try and get me some baby fish food in just incase i can't find what i need (so hopefully that will work)...

But to fill you all in, heres another updated: atm the 5 i have pulled out are now in a tiny 5 - 10L tank?, with air stone, and small HOB filter using tank water from the main tank they came from and some filter media from there as well... so fingers crossed it all works out... although i do have another slightly larger (15L) tank incase i need to move them again... :D

--EDIT--

After some research i realized what your talking about i think is Brine Shrimp Eggs which need to be hatched out??? any way, if that is the case then thats what i've got on order atm, just gotta wait for it to come in which will hopefully be soon, although i'll be trying another shop later to see if they have it in stock...