Young GSP's in full marine?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Young GSP's in full marine?

Post by Pufferpunk »

They visit FW-SW throughout their lifetime, mostly living hi high-end BW. With a little bump up in salinity, it is much easier to keep a marine tank than a BW one.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Raytheman
Puffer Fry
Location (country): The netherlands

Post by Raytheman »

Ok , thnx. But no evidence they live in marine once fullgrown?
drankdripline
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Four South American Puffaroonies
Location (country): United States

Post by drankdripline »

This post inspired me, I am going to look into getting the smallest GSP that I can. I will try to raise him in full marine once he is dewormed, and then I will record the progress.

Cool concept.
Raytheman
Puffer Fry

Post by Raytheman »

Ow really, thats interesting but also worries me..wont it harm him?
drankdripline
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Four South American Puffaroonies
Location (country): United States

Post by drankdripline »

Raytheman wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:11 pm Ow really, thats interesting but also worries me..wont it harm him?
So interestingly I picked up a dying GSP from the LFS a couple days ago. I got him cheap since the worker and I agreed that he would be dead the next day and therefore worth nothing. So I offered $2. Anyways, I took him home and treated him. He has a highly damaged left fin, and more than half of his tail is gone. However, since coming home and taking the medicine his condition has improved greatly. He is lively and bright colored and seemingly on the mend.

I will be careful with putting him into Marine, and I will keep a very close eye on him. When he grows back his tail I will do the transfer. If he seems to struggle I will discontinue the attempt. Nevertheless, it is a very interesting Idea that potentially could decrease their mortality rates if we know they can always handle marine salinity.

We know that putting them in freshwater for too long will harm them, and yet people are often afraid to transfer them because they never know when their fish is "big enough." If we test the concept of putting them in marine right away then perhaps it will become common knowledge that switching them to marine sooner than later is advisable. I hope.
Raytheman
Puffer Fry

Post by Raytheman »

Well, that sounds really good. Glad you could save this one. I also struggle with the fresh-brakish-marine thing. Keep them between fresh aand 1010. The biggest one I have is now almost 4 inches..very curious about the outcome of your experiment. Please keep posting!
AdamNarhi
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Helsinki, Finland

Post by AdamNarhi »

I find this very interesting! Are people keeping GSP's in reef tank or just live rock/etc set-ups?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Mostly FOWLR but you can add soft corals, like mushrooms, leather, xenia, GSP,
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"