Have we helped you help your puffer?

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Have we helped you help your puffer?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Only if you send it! ;)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
xmikebrock
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer
Porcupine Puffer
Location (country): New Jersey

Post by xmikebrock »

you guys are amazing
youve helped me out soo much
you have no idea
Youngsir
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: One small Baileyi puffer

Post by Youngsir »

'We' as in everyone on this site not just helped but saved my puffer. Through expert help (from real people) my puffer will be nothing less then tickled belly porker who is kept in the best care thanks to everyone who has help. I can't thank everyone who contributed enough. And to everyone who keeps this site alive and thriving. (like puffy!) thank you so much everyone! I hope people will learn from me someday too! But For now this puffer fry is just happy to have a healthy puffy!

Thanks, I can't thank you enough

Ps. the fam (including me) is getting TPF shirts(sick logo).
2jane
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 2 DPs, Wintermute and Neuromancer

Post by 2jane »

My GSP now has a happy, healthy home.
I'll probably be picking up a TPF notebook or 2- I definitely need a dayplanner now, and my financial aid reimbursement is coming back soon so I'll have a lot of extra money floating around (after paying up for books and supplies, of course!)
Goodbye Chekov! I'm sure you will be happy in your new home.
soggydrysuit
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 2x T.fluviatilis
1x C. irrubesco
2 x T. nigroviridis
1 x T. ocellatus
Current non-puffers:

Enough for people to think I'm a loonie :-)
Location (country): UK

Post by soggydrysuit »

At least twice in the space of three weeks. First the whitespot, then the IP's - and I'm by no means a novice at fish!

Your help is sincerely appreciated :D
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Did you read the 1st page? ;)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

tinker88
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 360l - main tank
& Nano tank
Location (country): Barnsley UK

Post by tinker88 »

im going to donate - as soon as the hubby is in the bath! lol

You have helped me , and i love forums hahaha, also in valuable knowledge that is the truth. (ive had it with LFS lying, just trying to sell things - you should have heard the hassel i got for lowering the salinty and not buying copper/meds/etc etc from them! ohhh you will def kill your fish etc) Only did i know that one of there novice fish staff took in his dog face Puffer cos it had ich and they treated him in there copper tank, i asked where he was - "oh he died" "not from the copper " (after i told them they shouldnt have used copper) " someone else bought him he died 2 days after, so they must have done something to him" ......... not the fact that the fish was really ill 2 weeks ago and they have sold it by now - and treated it with copper, poor thing must have been so stressed :(

Thaks for your help.

I just hope mine pull throu but the eating today and more swimming - im hopeful!
******STARS AND STRIPES=====
bigskies
Dwarf Puffer

Post by bigskies »

You have helped me - more than once. My little Wal-Mar rescued GSPs have found health and happiness through this forum. And believe me - they needed it coming from Wal-Mart.

I sent in my donation a couple days ago - and that "Get Puffed" coffee cup is looking really good to me. :D

We can't forget to support out puffer forum community. :yourock:
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Thanks! I love my "Get Puffed" shirt too.

xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon
Location (country): USA

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
puffermichigan
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP: Jahdio (Jellybean, rip we miss you)
Location (country): U.S. (midwest)

Post by puffermichigan »

I just want to say how much I appreciate the time that everyone on this forum took to help my GSPs and me. :) I came home from the fish store with two little GSPs for my 5 gallon tank, started doing some research online and freaked out. Without the guidance of people on this forum, I would likely have sadly returned the fish, knowing that the store would either have gotten rid of them or sold them to the next person with a 5 gallon looking for a new pet.

Instead, I found a 75 gal on Craigslist, and with the helpful and encouraging advice of people here got it emergency-cycled. Now, my fiance and I are a proud parents of two beautiful GSPs, Jahdio and Jellybean, who have been with us for about 2 months now. They're both getting bigger already :) :), and they make us smile every day! The five-gallon has become the snail tank, because J and J have already eaten through all the snails from our tetra tank!

Thank you guys so much, we'll be ordering some x-mas presents from the puffer store!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing. :)

sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

In light of recent events I will definitely arrange some time in the near future to set some cash aside to make a donation. You have my word.

This is a great community and I am spreading it around and making referrals on Facebook and YouTube as well since there is so many people out there with misinformation regarding their fish. As a first time puffer owner I doubt my GSP's would have survived past 3 months and not look as beautiful as they are now without the guidance and wealth of information available on this site.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Thanks! :)

GBobNorth
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 1 two inch GSP
Location (country): Fairbanks, Alaska, USA

Post by GBobNorth »

I wish I could help out, back when I worked at Walmart I refered people to this site for care info every time I typed in a code for a GSP on the register. The guy caring for the fish didn't have a clue (Chinese Algae Eaters with Violet Gobies, the humanity) but as it stands I'll be lucky if I have a home in a few months. I wish you all the best, you're really providing a service here. When I first got a fish I didn't think much of them, but I'd never seen a fish swim around a tank with a piece of gravel in his mouth like a puppy with a ball before, puffers really are different.