Have we helped you help your puffer?

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Have we helped you help your puffer?

Post by Myaj »

Have you used the information and assistance provided here at The Puffer Forum to help your puffer live a happier, healthier life? Saved a puffer from wasting away from internal parasites? Healed up ammonia burns or fin rot? Learned how to do dentistry work on a puffer with overgrown teeth? Discovered new ways of treatment, environment and equipment that have helped you help your puffer? That is what we are here for, and we want to continue to be here to help future puffer owners.

The Puffer Forum is a non-profit community which aims to provide a valuable and much needed resource for aquarists with pet puffers. Our community runs completely off donations from our members to help with hosting and domain costs, and occasional contest prizes.

There are many ways you can help support your online puffer community!

PayPal Donations
We gladly accept any donations made via PayPal. PayPal accepts payments in any currency, in any amount, from either checking accounts or credit cards. PayPal donations can be sent to thepufferforum@yahoo.com or via the link in our header bar, which will fill out the information for you:

The Puffer Store
Consider shopping in The Puffer Store where a small percentage of each sale contributes to maintaining our community. A whole range of products is available, tailored to fans of pufferfish. These include a variety of clothing, stickers, magnets, and even calendars with fantastic photographs of a variety of puffers doing what they do best - looking adorable!

Checks or Money Orders
While we do prefer PayPal for it's ease of use, if you don't have a PayPal account and would still like to support our community we also welcome checks and money orders. Just send a private message to our forum Administrator, PufferPunk. She will provide contact information where you can send your donation.

As always, we also could not have the wonderful community we have here without the conversations, ideas and assistance you, the members, share freely with other puffer owners. We always encourage members to submit well written articles for review for the library, and high quality photographs for species identification in the PufferPedia and article illustrations. We appreciate any donations you can make, but thank you for your support in any way you show it!

The Puffer Forum
Agnate
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: -

1 Abei Puffer [Monotrete Abei]
(Captain Abe)

Re: Have we helped you help your puffer?

Post by Agnate »

When I came here a year ago, I had two little GSPs who were in awful condition. Although I wasn't able to save them, the great people here taught me all of the important things I needed to know about puffers and fishkeeping (such as cycling a tank, etc.). I have learned a lot, and after feeling guilty/helpless for not being able to save my first puffers, I took it upon myself to try and share the knowledge I gained with others to make sure I could help save as many as I could.

Just wanted to give a small applause for the staff of TPF who keep this forum both functional and fun.

Thanks a bunch for all of your help! :D

(Just sent in my donation - :))
Did our staff successfully help you? The Puffer Forum is an incredible resource and is run completely on the donations of its viewers. Proceeds from the Puffer Forum store go towards future contests and keeping the site running. Donations may also be made via PayPal.

- Paul

40 gallon - Future home of Abei Puffer
28 gallon - 1 Abei Puffer (Captain Abe)
5 gallon - 1 Betta (Frederico)
By_a_coo
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 X GSP
Location (country): Brazil

Post by By_a_coo »

Sorry if it is a silly question: how much can I donate to help TPF? I'd like to help people who DO help me and my puffers! You're the best!
Fernando
crazedpuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x Porcupine Puffer
1xValentini

Post by crazedpuffer »

Any amount helps!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

We haven't had any donations in quite some time. There have been years I have used my own $$$ to keep this forum running. The puffers are worth it though! (Shhhhh... don't tell Hubby!)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Sandee
Administrator

Re: Have we helped you help your puffer? YES!

Post by Sandee »

YES! This site has helped very very much. Thanks, and I make my Puffer Forum donations pretty regularly (I consider it my clue dues!). :)

Recently, my (new) Dalmatian Puffer started to show 'white spots' that weren't Ick! Sorta odd, I thought - did a quick search and poof - a quick Puffer answer! No longer worried, the forum thread I found described the condition 100%. "probably a partial puff, where the spines are showing" - that's it! Thanks! I do worry about what might be stressing him/her ... only one other fish (Hardwickii Wrasse). Getting a third this weekend, to break them up a bit.

Some sad news to report - and really the reason I haven't posted. I had a terrible run of problems with my many tanks - I lost both our Burrs, a Dog Face (and 4 other non-puffer fish). My fault, added a new butterfly without doing a QT, introduced Velvet ... gone. Lost everyone but one fish in a 90g, and everyone but 3 fish in my 120g. Sad. But now starting back up with this wonderful Dalmatian ...

Pix posted for future reference!

Sandee | NJ
Burr, Porcupine, Dalmatian, Mappa, Miurus, Blue Box (does that count?) ... and a ton of other fish! Whew ...
Ton of Tanks: http://www.sandeeland.com/animals
Live Fishcam: http://www.sandeeland.com/fishcam
Sponge bob
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): United States of America, North America

Post by Sponge bob »

I would donate.
If I had money =(
Sandee what is with the bubble thing on it?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Aww... that's a lot of beloved friends to loose! :(
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Sponge bob
Mbu Puffer

Post by Sponge bob »

Yea.Sorry for you loss.
Forgot to say.
Sandee
Administrator

Post by Sandee »

Well, didn't mention it to look for sympathy - but just a reminder that it's a responsibility - lots of tanks, lots to worry about - and in my case, I guess I started to do really stupid things like not washing my hands between 'touching' tanks. ... that's not the only thing - but not ready to admit all my bad habits.

Very sad (and disappointed in myself). I think it's time to admit, 20 tanks may be a bit much. I need to slow down, do a better job on taking care of cleaning and maintaining safe tanks all around. Sorta sucks. Sorry. Nah, I'm not going to start selling anything off - but will certainly take any advice, comments and replies ...
Sandee | NJ
Burr, Porcupine, Dalmatian, Mappa, Miurus, Blue Box (does that count?) ... and a ton of other fish! Whew ...
Ton of Tanks: http://www.sandeeland.com/animals
Live Fishcam: http://www.sandeeland.com/fishcam
Sponge bob
Mbu Puffer

Post by Sponge bob »

I use to have bad habits to.
I will take a tank from you=)
If Im alowed
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Sandee, I wanted to personally & publicly thank you for all those donations! In addition to all the other generous folks who help keep this place running!

Sponge bob
Mbu Puffer

Post by Sponge bob »

Just wondering, What was/is the biggest donation you guys ever got?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I think someone sent us $50 once.

Sponge bob
Mbu Puffer

Post by Sponge bob »

Oh, I thought there would be more.Like $100