Page 7 of 14

Re: Congo puffers

Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:12 pm
by Pufferpunk
Was there a 24 hr guarantee on the fish?

Re: Congo puffers

Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:59 pm
by ~reefchik~
I guess I need to call and find out, PP.

Re: Congo puffers

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:04 pm
by supersean

Re: Congo puffers

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:56 pm
by ~reefchik~
Supersean, that's what I have in my snail tank and my BW tank. It seems to be good stuff, and I actually like the color (first time for me, to have black substrate) but for a congo or any puffer that buries, I would think a softer sand would be more suitable, don't you?

Re: Congo puffers

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:34 pm
by Smashtoad
In the last five years, I have killed three puffers (2 suvatti and one congo) by putting them in tanks that had fully cycled, but only for a month or so. Nitrates, nitrites, ammonia all at zero. All three puffers died in less than two days...have no idea why.

I talked to a buddy of mine that is a general tank/fish guru and he said the tank was too new...I said it had cycled fully...he didn't care...in his mind it is still a brand new tank. Joey, my current congo (seen below...no pun intended), was added to his 38 gallon tank only after it had ran for three months with a dozen zebra danios. This was the same tank that had killed the previous congo three months earlier. Yeah, losing a congo SUCKS. Losing a perfect little baby would DOUBLE SUCK! Sorry about that. I'm in Indy, so you're lucky you got to him before me...or maybe not I guess :shock:

Anyway...it just seems there is something about newer tanks that doesn't agree with them. Joey has been fine since day one (I've had him a couple years I guess)...BUT...I have let him go for a month without food, and he still turns his nose up at frozen silversides and krill. Won't even attack a dying fish...wants them healthy and running. Weirdly...he sometimes hits my nerite snail's shells just to annoy them I think. Congos are the coolest fish on earth IMO, with Butis butis coming in at a close second.

Joey has also recently begun to let me pet him...scratch him right between the eyes...but only when he's hungry. Yeah...he's a user...but it's cool.

Image

Re: Congo puffers

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:45 pm
by Smashtoad
Reefchik,

Here is the thread where I detailed my Congo's demise...and that is the little dude I killed in the pic. He was a nice fish.

Just cycle the tank longer...it may take you that long to find another congo anyway. I may be wrong, but "quick-fix" products that purport to cycle tanks immediately or whatever are something I will not try. Toss in a dozen zebra danios and fatten them up for the arrival of the grinder!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16420

Re: Congo puffers

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:21 am
by ~reefchik~
Smashtoad, I appreciate your viewpoint. Apparently a lot of us have killed congos :( and for mysterious reasons. I'm sorry you went through the same losses, it really sux, doesn't it?

Ironically she was only to be in that tank for about 2 days and then move into my 30 xHigh which has been set up about a year now. I just needed to move the rainbow and modestus out. He/she didn't even make it that long. So I guess, lesson learned is leave my 10g QT up and cycling with at least one or two fish at all times before bringing in another congo.

Re: Congo puffers

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:35 am
by ~reefchik~
Gosh, I just read your other thread :(
Some distinct similarities there for sure, especially the new substrate. That is one commonality in both our cases.
I have had fish for over twenty years, and have NEVER had the trouble with fish that I have had with these puffers. In the past five years, I have killed this congo and two arrowheads...all (I believe) due to mini cycles due to adding the puffer and feeders. When you guys say in the Pufferpedia that these guys are sensitive to ammonia and nitrite...you ain't kiddin.
That is almost verbatim what I said. I've been keeping fish since I was 10!! Lately I've had such a run of terrible luck with fish that I wonder what I've really learned in all that time. You should see my fish library. It's not like I'm uneducated. I suppose it's a combination of things: fish on the market are getting unhealthier (as RTR relates in my thread about snails) and messing around too much with new fish and new tanks. I've always been one to set things up by the book, add my fish according to a schedule and compatibility and then leave it and enjoy it. Very few losses over the years and those mainly by carpet surfing.

But this year I've set up 4 new tanks with critters I've not kept in the past and so I suppose I've upped my odds for disaster to strike. Moved myself back down the learning curve!

These puffers are taking me to a whole new level of fishkeeping, just like the jump into marine did. I love the challenge but losing that congo really took it out of me. I'm still grieving her death, I guess. Isn't that something? You'd think it was a dog :lol: Well at any case, it WAS love at first sight.

Re: Congo puffers

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:44 pm
by supersean
http://www.petco.com/product/7452/Natur ... dSubtrates is this good and if its not what it good

Re: Congo puffers

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:52 am
by ~reefchik~
supersean wrote:http://www.petco.com/product/7452/Natur ... dSubtrates is this good and if its not what it good
That's for a saltwater tank, and it's fine if that is what you are setting up.

If you're wanting substrate for a future congo, or any of the puffers that bury themselves, a fine soft sand/small rounded gravel is recommended for them. I'd go with this: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/p ... atid=21412
Scroll down to see the sands, rather than the pebbles. Not that I set any store by the "live" claims, I don't.

You can also use clean children's playground sand from Lowe's or Home Depot. It's cream colored when wet, and very soft. What I do in most of my tanks is set them up with a combo. Soft sand in some areas and small pea gravel in others. I like the contrast and fish that spend time on the bottom can choose where to hang out. If you are just wanting a recommendation for substrate, and not necessarily for one of the lurker/buryer types then anything you like is ok. You have to also consider if you're going to use live plants or plastic, because some substrates are better suited to live plants than others.

For my future congo tank, it's more sand than gravel. HTH :)

Re: Congo puffers

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:34 am
by supersean

Re: Congo puffers

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:56 am
by ~reefchik~
Looks like it should be.

Re: Congo puffers

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:07 pm
by supersean
Ll I started cycleing my Tank and going to put clown loach or zebra danios

Re: Congo puffers

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:27 pm
by xrayjeeper83
i like pool filter sand better the play sand

Re: Congo puffers

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:22 pm
by purplecandle
Why use a clown loach? Loachs grow fast, need huge tanks..and will live a long time if cared for properly...Sorry to rip you RTR, but NIMFT

here is some information on CL http://www.loaches.com/species-index/cl ... cracanthus

Why not just do a fishless cycle? No fish have to be harmed, or stunted..it is easier and faster..
supersean wrote:Ll I started cycleing my Tank and going to put clown loach or zebra danios