Page 3 of 3

Re: Not what I expected. New to GSP. Need to move to brackish water

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:31 pm
by Pufferpunk
I would do a huge WC again & add Tetra Safestart to your filter.
Yay for poop!

Re: Not what I expected. New to GSP. Need to move to brackish water

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:26 am
by Esnodgrass
Sorry to bother you. Question... I bought the 2nd filter for the 40gal tank and just realized there isnt an opening for it on the other side of the top. Can I go without a tank top or will the GSP take an opportunity to jump out of tank? What options have folks used to cover tanks outside of a tank cover. I can google covers that have two openings but thought there might be another solution. BTW he is doing great. He is getting familiar with tank and navigating it well. Figured out he isnt dying every night when he rests on bottom curved and dark. He is next to me all day so he does have a way of guilting me into thinking he is starving. Only being fed in AM bloodworms and then in afternoon a few pest snails from my other tank I now use for them. Thank you again for helping me.

Re: Not what I expected. New to GSP. Need to move to brackish water

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:57 pm
by Pufferpunk
It's only a matter of time...

Re: Not what I expected. New to GSP. Need to move to brackish water

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:17 pm
by Esnodgrass
Had idea. Keep cover so he can’t get out but since there isn’t a second opening get a fluval u2 as second filter and return one I bought. Fluval u2 or u3 as 2nd filter.???

Had sorry for you. Went to aquarium place this weekend and I knew answer but asked if they had puffers They did then asked if it was freshwater He said yes then when I asked what about as adult. I said aren’t they supposed to be moved he knowingly you could tell smirked and said he doesn’t have them that long. Other place said aquarium salt and fresh water is all they need even as adult. Finally one place said only if you don’t want them to have fullloves and reach full potential. The most honest of the lot.

Re: Not what I expected. New to GSP. Need to move to brackish water

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:11 am
by Pufferpunk
Please don't listen to your LFS! :durr:

Re: Not what I expected. New to GSP. Need to move to brackish water

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:49 am
by Esnodgrass
we learned that the hard way. totally agree. in a 40gal tank with the existing filter adding a 2nd filter should it be a fluval u2 (for a 12-30gal) or u3 (up to 30)? is more filter better?

Also just to confirm food. He is on freeze dried bloodworms in AM, then a few live small pest snails (1-2) in afternoon or 4 river shrimp (washed ahead of time). Once a week he gets a frozen clam on the half shell. Just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. He does seem happier.

Re: Not what I expected. New to GSP. Need to move to brackish water

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:06 pm
by Pufferpunk
So you plan on keeping it in BW?

Re: Not what I expected. New to GSP. Need to move to brackish water

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:39 pm
by Esnodgrass
Yes. Actually saltwater if he likes it over time. I’m dedicated to this fella. I can’t believe how much I’ve learned about puffers. I’m hooked financially and emotionally. Any advice is appreciated. Hope you don’t mind me asking so many questions.

Re: Not what I expected. New to GSP. Need to move to brackish water

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:40 pm
by Pufferpunk
Well, you said you were concerned about purchasing FW filters then switching it over to SW. SW filtration is totally different than FW (more biological), which is why you can do fewer water changes, saving $$$ on salt.

Re: Not what I expected. New to GSP. Need to move to brackish water

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:50 pm
by Esnodgrass
I need some help. I do want to move him to saltwater. I find him curled and black on bottom, or hugging at the top against heater or swimming perimeter but black on his bottom. And test ammonia find it to be .05 and do a water change. Not more than a day or so later same thing. Yesterday I did a 50% water change when he looked ashy. I have the filter from smaller tank with this filter to add bioligicals. A second filter coming in mail. Maybe I just don’t know what is normal body language. Since he is next to me all day I see him and panic. I’ve averaged a water change probably every few days 10gal or 50% depending on how he looks.

Re: Not what I expected. New to GSP. Need to move to brackish water

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:08 pm
by Pufferpunk
ANY ammonia is toxic. What about nitrite/nitrate? How was this tank cycled? Are you adding any salt?

You don't have to ever move him to SW, high-end BW is fine.