Page 3 of 4
Re: Hi All!!
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:18 pm
by Pufftastic
Aquarium silicone usually comes in a tube, like toothpaste, and they make small ones all the way up to great big ones. It usually needs 24-48 hours to cure after you use it before it's safe for fish.
That GSP at the LFS sounds adorable. I really wanted a GSP too, but I have a 29 gallon and that's just not big enough for even one of them, really. I went with F8s instead, and I'm really enjoying them. They have tons of personality and do the follow-your-finger thing and beg shamelessly for food.
Re: Hi All!!
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:40 pm
by goldielocke76
Is there such a thing as a 5 gallon bucket with a pour lip? I was hoping to find one to keep the mess down during WC and I haven't been able to find one yet.
Re: Hi All!!
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:21 pm
by Pufftastic
goldielocke76 wrote:Is there such a thing as a 5 gallon bucket with a pour lip? I was hoping to find one to keep the mess down during WC and I haven't been able to find one yet.
I have one that I got at Home Depot. You'll want to put something at the lip to strain the water when you pour it if you're breeding snails. Those little buggers aren't always stuck to the tank. I learned that the hard way when a few snails went down the drain.

Re: Hi All!!
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:02 pm
by goldielocke76
Pufftastic wrote:goldielocke76 wrote:Is there such a thing as a 5 gallon bucket with a pour lip? I was hoping to find one to keep the mess down during WC and I haven't been able to find one yet.
I have one that I got at Home Depot. You'll want to put something at the lip to strain the water when you pour it if you're breeding snails. Those little buggers aren't always stuck to the tank. I learned that the hard way when a few snails went down the drain.

I was thinking more along the lines of after I have mixed the BW in a bucket to pour it into the tank. I was looking for something that would make it easier to pour into the tank without making a huge mess. I planned on getting a 25 foot aqueon hose (Amazon doesn't have python that I have seen and lots aqueon has good reviews) to help with FW changes, but I know eventually I will move to BW. I was looking for something exactly like this
http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovators-O ... 284&sr=8-3
Only problem is, is that I do not need it to be heated. = / I just don't want to mess up the carpets. We paid alot to move it, and I want it all back LOL
Re: Hi All!!
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:22 pm
by bertie 83
Over here you can get those buckets for like £2 in homeware stores. They do exist lol
Re: Hi All!!
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:02 pm
by goldielocke76
bertie 83 wrote:Over here you can get those buckets for like £2 in homeware stores. They do exist lol

How do I get one of those in California?? LoL. I have looked online, I have looked in stores-- feed, hardware, homeware, plastics, etc. and have yet to find one. /sadface
Re: Hi All!!
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:08 pm
by bertie 83
If i can ship one i will. I will find out prices as to ship halfway round the world may be more than its worth lol
Re: Hi All!!
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:41 pm
by Reaperpilot2014
goldielocke76 wrote:bertie 83 wrote:Over here you can get those buckets for like £2 in homeware stores. They do exist lol

How do I get one of those in California?? LoL. I have looked online, I have looked in stores-- feed, hardware, homeware, plastics, etc. and have yet to find one. /sadface
I've seen them at Walmart. You can try either the cleaning section or else some of the trash bins.
Re: Hi All!!
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:01 pm
by goldielocke76
Sweet! Thank you so much! I will go check there after I get off of work!
Re: Hi All!!
Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:35 pm
by goldielocke76
YAY!!!!! I went to the LFS and messed with their tank decorations...I now have a great idea as to how I am going to set up the tank (hopefully it will meet the approval of all of you puffer experts out there ^.^ ) Now it's just a matter of getting the stuff, and getting it set up, all of that requiring money LOL. Next pay day is going to be nice, so I am going get everything I need mid week, next week....happy day!!

Re: Hi All!!
Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:42 pm
by Pufferpunk
That's great they let you do that.
Re: Hi All!!
Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:31 am
by goldielocke76
Pufferpunk wrote:That's great they let you do that.
All I did was take their decorations on the shelf and put it in an empty 20. I had one of their employees "give me ideas" and he didn't care too much. Haha. I put everything back and was gentle with everything, so they didn't mind. We have been down there so much some of them know me by name now = / haha. I can't help it, it's too exciting!
Re: Hi All!!
Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:32 am
by goldielocke76
bertie 83 wrote:If i can ship one i will. I will find out prices as to ship halfway round the world may be more than its worth lol
I didn't even see your quote until tonight =( lol if you wouldn't mind finding out how much it is, if I can't find one at Walmart or Target, I just might take you up on it......
Re: Hi All!!
Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:27 am
by Reaperpilot2014
goldielocke76 wrote:Pufferpunk wrote:That's great they let you do that.
All I did was take their decorations on the shelf and put it in an empty 20. I had one of their employees "give me ideas" and he didn't care too much. Haha. I put everything back and was gentle with everything, so they didn't mind. We have been down there so much some of them know me by name now = / haha. I can't help it, it's too exciting!
If you tried to do that at my Father's store, he' be like "I can't let you do that. You could scratch the glass." Honestly though, you could probably up sales a bit if you gave slight discounts for getting all of your substrate, plants, etc., right then.
Re: Hi All!!
Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:34 am
by goldielocke76
Reaperpilot2014 wrote: If you tried to do that at my Father's store, he' be like "I can't let you do that. You could scratch the glass." Honestly though, you could probably up sales a bit if you gave slight discounts for getting all of your substrate, plants, etc., right then.
That would totally be awesome. It's going to be ghastly expensive! The two pieces I was looking for tank decor (not including the plants) are going to be about $100...then I have the substrate, the plants, the fish, etc. Oh well. They didn't mind much, but, being a "dumb customer", I guess I never thought that I could do that...never occurred to me. = / Now I kinda feel bad, because everyone there is pretty knowledgeable, and personable.