Page 3 of 3

Re: New member proud GSP owner :)

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:29 pm
by CyberBob
sevenyearnight wrote:I definitely agree puffykid, it would be a silly to put all the LR hidden away as the puffer would be deprived of all the exploring and pod hunting, which I personally feel is one of the best ways to keep them from getting bored and pacing.
That I completely agree with. When I was running the 55 with most of the rock in the sump, it always seemed to be missing sumtin ;)
But, it did have a lil to look at. I should have just gone with a larger tank in the 1st place. Lesson learned the had way :)
sevenyearnight wrote:You said if using a sump, as if there is an option to set it up completely without liverock. I'm not just trying to show you up sir, I'm trying to make sure people get accurate and beneficial advice and information. What's getting old is you giving bad advice and then perpetuating denial of said bad advice.
Right, you don't have to use a sump.
So IF you are using a sump, you can keep the live rock there and have enough room for your fish.
But IF you don't run a sump, you are kinda screwed if you want a happy fish and coral.

The problem presented and the problem I was responding to was:
Tforbes003 wrote:I have slowly been adding some live rock to the aquarium and really really want to add some kind of coral to the tank
So, I was trying to present the options. In a 30g, you could only have coral in the tank if you kept some live rock in the sump.
With no sump, you could still run a filter and live sand. But, probably couldn't keep coral in that tank and have the fish be very happy.
Not optimal by any means, but better then nothing until you can upgrade. I thought I was pretty clear.
Puffykid seems to have understood what I was saying when he replied with:
puffykid wrote:I am not one of those experts, but to my understanding the reason why you dont want a gsp in a 30g with liverock is because even a little bit of liverock takes away a lot of the volume of water that the tank can hold. Making the tank hold less water means that there is less water for the gsp to swim around in and to dilute its waste.
So, I ask you nicely ... please read all the comments\questions I am responding to before taking my comment out of context and trying to make me look like a fool. If I wasn't clear enough, I always encourage the person asking for advice to ask me to clarify. Or, perhaps you can ask me to clarify before trying to correct me. Then, neither of us look like an idiot and we help instead of hijacking a topic with a meaningless rant.
You are quickly becoming a foe. But, there is no reason you have to be one. Instead of always assuming I'm wrong, perhaps you can try to figure why it doesn't make sense to you and ask me to clarify.

I'm dropping the subject because it was all a hypothetical problem anyways.
Tforbes003 wrote:Rightnow he is only about 2" and he will get a bigger tank later on. I have a spare 55 gal also that is empty just don't have the room in my place for it. I have seen them get tree adult size and wouldn't keep that guy in that small of a tank at that point.

About the sand my cousin has been doing salt for ever and had that gas leak in his tank from a move and almost lost everything. I'll probably do sand in the 55 but since this 29 started as almost fw and low Bw there wasn't anything I could buy locally to filter the sand if I had put that in.
I was simply trying to say that IF the puff ends up needing to stay in the 30g ...
Just trying to prevent a puffer from being overcrowded and possibly sick.

Re: New member proud GSP owner :)

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:29 pm
by Tforbes003
JUST AN UPDATE AND WHAT I HAVE LEARNED FROM MY PUFFER. I MUST HAVE A GOOD PUFFER BECAUSE I HAVE SLOWLY ADDED LIVE ROCK AND CORAL INTO THE TANK. I GOT SOME PULSING xENIA AND SOME POLYPS AND HAVE NO PROBLEM WHAT SO EVER WITH THE PUFFER AND CORALS. ALSO HAVE TWO YELLOW TAIL DAMSELS THAT DO JUST FINEIN THE TANK. THE PUFFER LEAVES THEM ALL ALONE AND DOESNT EVEN PAY MUCH ATTENTION AT ALL. SO FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO KNOW IF YOU CAN HAVE CORALS AND FISH I HAVE FOUND YOU CAN IF INTRODUCED WHILE THEY ARE YOUNG :)

Re: New member proud GSP owner :)

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:05 am
by sevenyearnight
Tforbes, thanks for the update, but with time, you may find that your puffer may snack on his tankmates. It may be days, or years, but never expect a puffer not to be puffer. A small portion will live harmoniously with tank mates, but it's not the default.
Also, please refrain from using all caps as that is considered shouting online, and it's kind of distracting and hard to read (Without imagining that the poster is shouting) lol

Good luck with you puffer tank mates, it's always a good idea to have a place to move anyone if they do get harassed.

Thanks for the update, and it's great to hear that your puffer is doing well!
Also, most of us prefer updates with pics, so if you have any, please post them :D