Page 2 of 3

Re: New to the forum

Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:32 am
by RTR
I have two 8x14 foot rooms which are my "play areas", both with plenty of power and water. The one which is an "L" off the Pool room is the primary fish room, the other was the temporary fish room during the move into this house, but became the Plant room/potting shed for some years during the landscaping of this property, then reverted to being a secondary fish room for a few years, now is more tank and equipment storage than anything else. There are advantages to custom-building.

I also consider moving to be one of life's major traumas. Before retirement I was a scientist, with fish, plants, and kites as major hobbies. My wife is an administrator, with music, photography, and cooking as hobbies. Need I comment on our absolute requirement for masses of readily available storage space? Fish tanks, terraria, house plants, grand pianos, harps, medieval musical instruments, percussion instruments (mine, not hers), cameras, slide storage closet, artwork collections (shared) - these all eat space. And then there are the books and music storage... Oops - I forgot the bubble equipment storage - when there is not quite enough wind to fly kites, you need to have bubble- blowing apparatus (both small and giant bubbles, powered and manual), even though we do have zero-wind kites. Providing homes for all that is a major undertaking.

I sincerely hope that I never have to move again. I plan on leaving this house feet first. Someone else can clean up after me next time. He who dies with the most and most enjoyable toys wins...

Re: New to the forum

Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:53 am
by Pufferpunk
Need I comment on our absolute requirement for masses of readily available storage space?
Hence, why our next home also must have a basement!

Re: New to the forum

Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:29 am
by Stratters
I really REALLY want RTR to be my Dad. Bubbles as a hobby, brilliant

Re: New to the forum

Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:17 pm
by DMD123
RTR wrote:I forgot the bubble equipment storage - when there is not quite enough wind to fly kites, you need to have bubble- blowing apparatus (both small and giant bubbles, powered and manual), even though we do have zero-wind kites.
I have flown two line stunt kites for years. Been at least 15 years since I bought a new one but mine are all in excellent shape so no need for replacement. I have tried some ultra light types but never a zero-wind. My goal is to try my hand at a quad line type.

Re: New to the forum

Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:46 pm
by Pufferpunk
Here is RTR's living room:

Image

Re: New to the forum

Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:00 pm
by DMD123
Pufferpunk wrote:Here is RTR's living room:
It seems to be missing a fish tank....

Re: New to the forum

Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:12 pm
by Pufferpunk
Most of his tanks are in the basement fishroom.

Re: New to the forum

Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:07 am
by RTR
Actually, most of my tanks are in storage. There used to be a tank between the LR and the DR, but the masterwork of a close long-time friend became available and it replaced that tank. There is also a 65 the other side of the fireplace from the kite tree, but is idle ATM - I moved the stand downstairs to storage and dropped the tank behind it's shoji screen. There are two overgrown operating tanks in this room, and two more idle tanks, but none are picture-ready condition. As PP said, most of my operating tanks are in the poolroom fish room. Even there only 11 tanks have fish ATM. The tank room floor is overdue for replacement.

We have had the bubble equipment out and operational twice this spring. We have new next-door neighbors with young kids, so we had to show them that all old fogies are not necessarily boring. The big bubbles blew them away... (pun fully intended). It is great to hear children playing next door again. Most of the near-by residents are retired folks.

Re: New to the forum

Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:42 pm
by Master of Puffers
Bonjour et bienvenue DMD123.

pfferghoti and I have a fish basement. It has around 20 tanks in use and another 7 or so being set up... We also have tanks on the other 2 stories of our house.

Re: New to the forum

Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:11 am
by Pufferpunk
We are moving into a house cross-country (haven't found one yet) & I'm considering making a fishroom in the basement. I'm wondering--how much time do you stay down there with them? I'm afraid either I'll never see them except for tank cleaning or I'll be spending most of my time in the basement.

Re: New to the forum

Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:31 am
by Master of Puffers
2 or so hours a day for water changes, checking tanks, testing the (sadly non-puffer) reef all the that kinda stuff..ut it tends to be in 15/20 mins periods rather than a full 2 hours.

I have to do housework there as well so I fit the tank stuff round the housework..unless pufferghoti is working from home when I dump the housework for talking to the fish...

Re: New to the forum

Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:22 am
by RTR
Both of my fish rooms are on the lower floor, but the main room is above ground level. I tend to spend an hour or more in the main room or the adjacent pool room (most of the display tanks face the pool room and are fed from there). The back-up tank room is mostly below ground level, so would be classified as basement. Our lot is moderately steeply sloping. At that end of the house, both floors have unobstructed views of the mountain across the valley below us.

Re: New to the forum

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:27 am
by DMD123
Master of Puffers wrote:Bonjour et bienvenue DMD123.
Thank you, glad to be here!

Re: New to the forum

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:09 pm
by Stratters
Nice here, innit. <puts feet up, passes round the wine>

Re: New to the forum

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:11 pm
by BedScien
Jesus Christ, RTR!
Your life is a masterpiece :o !!