Page 2 of 3

Re: Popping My Puff Cherry Soon!

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:58 pm
by fahucker
Puff_Daddy wrote:I love fish forums, no matter what tank size you have, it's not big enough lol

I was advised that if i was to keep more than one puffer, then i should introduce both juveniles at the same time as they are more likely to be aggressive to one another if introduced later on.
I don't think its the fact that it's no big enough....ohk you're right lmfao!

Re: Popping My Puff Cherry Soon!

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:46 am
by bertie 83
The minimum recommended tank size is the bare minimum! Not an ideal size. If you want happy and healthy fish go bigger than minimum. The facts stated on here are truthful so anyone telling you otherwise is either lying or guessing. Puffers give off a massive bio-load so need space to prevent stunting and or boredom.

Re: Popping My Puff Cherry Soon!

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:59 am
by Puff_Daddy
Who's come up with the exact minimum and which one is the correct one? As there's a lot of varying facts be it in books, online or just asking around. I know a fish is going to be happiest in an Ocean sized tank but I'll see how they cope in mine and if they don't seem happy then I'll upgrade.

Re: Popping My Puff Cherry Soon!

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:04 pm
by Pufferpunk
After multiple decades of fish/pufferkeeping, this many of group have come up with minimum tank sizes for longest life & happiest fish.

Re: Popping My Puff Cherry Soon!

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:12 pm
by fahucker
It is a combination on the fish size and based on aggression and such! I mean you cant keep a fahaka in a 55g long yah know? I mean he gets 18+ inches and needs at least 24in to turn so he is comfy plus plenty of room to swim and hide and stuff. There are parameters for this.

Re: Popping My Puff Cherry Soon!

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:05 pm
by Puff_Daddy
Pufferpunk wrote:After multiple decades of fish/pufferkeeping, this many of group have come up with minimum tank sizes for longest life & happiest fish.
I bet a lot owners will have introduced them into a single tank and proclaimed that's the minimum you should have, rather than introducing them into tanks gradually increasing in capacity to find out how every litre affects their well-being. You're naturally going to want to give them as much space as possible, but you can find owners who have had success keeping happy, well looked after Puffers in a 65 litre tank as well as owners who have killed off many in tanks 10 times the size.
It is a combination on the fish size and based on aggression and such! I mean you cant keep a fahaka in a 55g long yah know? I mean he gets 18+ inches and needs at least 24in to turn so he is comfy plus plenty of room to swim and hide and stuff. There are parameters for this.
It's the luck of the draw in what your fishes personality will be, like many state, some live peacefully and some are just bullies. You can cleverly aquascape a smaller tank to provide them with things to explore and hide in, and break the line of sight. As well as using a high quality powerful filter to keep the tank in good condition.

I know you couldn't keep a fish 18 inches long in a 55g, a Figure 8 only gets to 3 inches max so the parameters are far from over stretched.

Re: Popping My Puff Cherry Soon!

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:11 pm
by Pufftastic
Puff_Daddy wrote:I know you couldn't keep a fish 18 inches long in a 55g, a Figure 8 only gets to 3 inches max so the parameters are far from over stretched.
I respectfully disagree. The recommended minimums are about far more than just giving the puffer adequate swimming space or enough room to be "happy." A Figure 8 may be "only" 3 inches as an adult, but the bioload the tank must deal with due to the puffer's messy eating habits, voracious appetite, and huge girth (they're not skinny fish, they're actually blimp-like) puts a huge strain on water quality in a smaller tank.

Re: Popping My Puff Cherry Soon!

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:25 pm
by Puff_Daddy
I respectfully disagree. The recommended minimums are about far more than just giving the puffer adequate swimming space or enough room to be "happy." A Figure 8 may be "only" 3 inches as an adult, but the bioload the tank must deal with due to the puffer's messy eating habits, voracious appetite, and huge girth (they're not skinny fish, they're actually blimp-like) puts a huge strain on water quality in a smaller tank.
The bio-load i can deal with, I've got good filtration and i'll be stringent with water changes and regular upkeep. Plus as i said at the start I'll be looking to upgrade in tank size in the not too distant future.

Re: Popping My Puff Cherry Soon!

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:32 pm
by bertie 83
Good filtration doesn't add to water volume . If you don't want to care for a puffer don't buy one. We go on decades of info for proper care of pufferfish. If you won't listen then you will soon learn when you post on here with the problems you will encounter. Don't ask for advice then snub it...Puffers put out massive bio load so need lots of water.... Period

Re: Popping My Puff Cherry Soon!

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:57 pm
by Pufferpunk
you can find owners who have had success keeping happy, well looked after Puffers in a 65 litre tank
Many of the folks who put together the minimum tank recommendations have been able to keep their puffers that way into the fish's late teens. I'd like to see that in a much smaller environment... NOT!

Re: Popping My Puff Cherry Soon!

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:25 pm
by Flutter
I'm really not sure how we can help you. People are offering advice but you aren't listening to it and you always have an explanation about why it's wrong.

What do you want from us? How can we help?

Re: Popping My Puff Cherry Soon!

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:26 pm
by Reaperpilot2014
The minimums weren't arbitrarily decided by this forum. As stated above, decades of experience and research have led to those minimums, which are especially important for puffers, being scaleless and with uncovered gills.

Keeping too small of a tank WILL lead to health problems and premature death for your puffer. Even regardless of cramping, lack of adequate exercise, massive bioload, and possible stunting, a small tank simply can't support the bacteria population required to keep a tank cycled. That's why we don't overstock tanks, with puffers or any other fish. You could have massive filtration, 20 gallons or so, but then you might as well just get the bigger tank.

All animals have minimums. I would never leave my husky in a kennel for his whole life, and I wouldn't want to be locked in a bathroom for mine. Puffer's lives are just as precious as any dog or cats and deserve the same opportunity to live a happy, healthy life. Otherwise they are best left in the wild.

Re: Popping My Puff Cherry Soon!

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:54 pm
by goldielocke76
Reaperpilot2014 wrote:The minimums weren't arbitrarily decided by this forum. As stated above, decades of experience and research have led to those minimums, which are especially important for puffers, being scaleless and with uncovered gills.

Keeping too small of a tank WILL lead to health problems and premature death for your puffer. Even regardless of cramping, lack of adequate exercise, massive bioload, and possible stunting, a small tank simply can't support the bacteria population required to keep a tank cycled. That's why we don't overstock tanks, with puffers or any other fish. You could have massive filtration, 20 gallons or so, but then you might as well just get the bigger tank.

All animals have minimums. I would never leave my husky in a kennel for his whole life, and I wouldn't want to be locked in a bathroom for mine. Puffer's lives are just as precious as any dog or cats and deserve the same opportunity to live a happy, healthy life. Otherwise they are best left in the wild.

That was well said Reaper =)

Re: Popping My Puff Cherry Soon!

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:55 pm
by jjj5311
+1 to the above
I'm really not sure how we can help you. People are offering advice but you aren't listening to it and you always have an explanation about why it's wrong.

What do you want from us? How can we help?
+1 to this as well.. Help will always be given here when asked

Re: Popping My Puff Cherry Soon!

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:26 am
by Puff_Daddy
I appreciate every ones suggestions and help, and after careful consideration I've settled on getting 3 Dwarf Puffers instead of 2 Figure 8's. I'm sure my tank will be adequate enough to provide them with enough space to enjoy life.