Page 2 of 2

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:23 am
by Sylar_92
J-P wrote:can't say that argonite will be of use or not without knowing the pH of the tap water.
Last time I measured it's PH was a few months ago, with a reading of 7.2 ( nearly neutral ).

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:42 am
by Pufferpunk
Sylar_92 wrote:A question I have always thought about was if it was possible to use kitchen grade non-iodize seasalt as a substitute for aquarium salt. I heard it was possible but I also heard it wasn't.
Yes, for the purposes of treating diseases (the only reason to use any salt in FW), table salt is fine:
library/water-filtration/thesaltoftheearth/

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:44 am
by Salmon
Sylar_92 wrote:
J-P wrote:can't say that argonite will be of use or not without knowing the pH of the tap water.
Last time I measured it's PH was a few months ago, with a reading of 7.2 ( nearly neutral ).
so in your case, argonite would bring your pH up to 8 or 8.2

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:38 am
by hadla
J-P wrote:no salt... no salt, no salt..
rotfl! there was salt on the glass, big grains of salt

and welcome to tpf

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:55 pm
by Sylar_92
Heres the pic of my figure 8 a month ago while I was accimilating him to the tank.

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:12 am
by Pufftastic
Absolutely adorable F8 you have there! I have two of them myself. Looking forward to hearing more about yours!

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:48 pm
by sevenyearnight
Even if his pH were higher, I believe his KH would also have to be 10° - 14° (?) As the bacteria oxidizes ammonia, it depletes KH, and if the KH gets low between water changes, the pH may not remain steady.
Maybe some people have liquid rock for tap, but I know if I were to keep a F8, I'd have to use a calcium carbonate based substrate at the least. My KH is about 8 - 10 ppm and even though it comes out of the tap pH 6.8 - 7.0, it quickly drops to 6.0 and below.

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:32 pm
by Flutter
Our water is close to liquid rock at about 18dH but we used an aragonite substance as long term stability is also very important. All of our tap water changes over the year and years. If your water is soft then the aragonite will slowly dissolve, if it is hard then it will not.

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:48 pm
by sevenyearnight
hadla wrote:
J-P wrote:no salt... no salt, no salt..
rotfl! there was salt on the glass, big grains of salt

and welcome to tpf
Huh?

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:23 pm
by hadla
sevenyearnight wrote:
hadla wrote:
J-P wrote:no salt... no salt, no salt..
rotfl! there was salt on the glass, big grains of salt

and welcome to tpf
Huh?
it was from the movie office space

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:57 am
by mikesaturday
I'm also new from this puffer forums. Thanks for the post

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 am
by eieio
mikesaturday wrote:I'm also new from this puffer forums. Thanks for the post
MMMMmmmmmmmm.......... :roll:
Image

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:13 pm
by Black Widow
eieio wrote:
mikesaturday wrote:I'm also new from this puffer forums. Thanks for the post
MMMMmmmmmmmm.......... :roll:
Image
Hes not a spammer,

O wait his names gone black MMMMmmmmmmmm.......... 8)

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:30 pm
by eieio
Walrus Head wrote:
eieio wrote:
mikesaturday wrote:I'm also new from this puffer forums. Thanks for the post
MMMMmmmmmmmm.......... :roll:
Image
Hes not a spammer,

O wait his names gone black MMMMmmmmmmmm.......... 8)
before his name turned black, he had two links in his post related to software sales, etc..........

Re: New to the puffer forum

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:34 pm
by Black Widow
eieio wrote: he had two links in his post related to software sales, etc..........
Thats why his name is now Black ;)