Page 2 of 2
Re: Trimming teeth
Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:26 pm
by J-P
if you can don't use clove oil. it stops the respiration, causes brain damage if held under too long, and is carcinogenic (remains in the system).
I'd rather see you do multiple small trims without clove oil than one complete trim with it.
Re: Trimming teeth
Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:44 pm
by sevenyearnight
Even short sessions with clove oil has caused brain damage in some puffers. It's not worth the risk IMO.
Re: Trimming teeth
Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:52 pm
by J-P
sorry that was not what I was referring to. Short sessions with no tranq is better than going under with clove oil.
Re: Trimming teeth
Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:08 pm
by sevenyearnight
You make it look so easy too in your video J-P!
Re: Trimming teeth
Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:16 pm
by Tweetie-pie
Well I trimmed Tweetie teeth yesterday...with Clove oil..now that was scary.I guess I didn't put enough Clove Oil in the water as it took a long time beforeI could trim him,finally I thought enough & trimmed him when he was hardly breathing..unfortunately I missed one side of his lower teeth a bit.I was freaking so I put him back in the clean tank water & he came back quickly...after he was swimming around the bowl I put him back into his tank...he seems fine but is a little leary of me.I really don't want to have to do that all again but I might have to if his bottom teeth that I missed make it impossible for him to eat.I have to say the teeth I did trim look good but I still am worried about his lower ones.
Does anyone know how long I should wait before I use the clove oil again so I can do the ones I missed??? I'm almost tempted to do them without the clove oil.I just have to figure out how to do it underwater.I'm kicking myself for not checking before I put him back in that I got all of them.

Re: Trimming teeth
Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:19 pm
by Tweetie-pie
What Video??? Is it about trimming??
Re: Trimming teeth
Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:29 pm
by Pufferpunk
Multiple usage of CO will cause brain damage. Please try to do your best & get MS-222 to tranq him.
Re: Trimming teeth
Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:29 pm
by sevenyearnight
+1 I don't think you should use clove oil at all. J-P is someone that can help you on non-sedated trimming if that product isn't something you can get.
Re: Trimming teeth
Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:59 pm
by J-P
Tweetie-pie wrote:What Video??? Is it about trimming??
yes and no...
since you are in Canada, I'll send you some MS-222 for the next trim. The reason I didn't offer it before was the fact that it was approaching the weekend and you had already booked the Dr.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24506&hilit=+SAP
that is the thread / video that Seven mentioned.
It was posted earlier for your reference.
PM me the details to send the MS-222 if you are still inclined.
EDIT: ** I have enough MS-222 to knock out a herd of rhinos
Re: Trimming teeth
Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:44 pm
by Tweetie-pie
I think Tweetie has some brain damage....I feel so very guilty ....but I was trying to help him.That's what happens when you don't have the funds to take him to a vet & pay the hundreds of dollars to get it done right.It's hard when you're on a limited budget like Disability.It really sucks that I had to do it myself & use an unsafe product.I don't know if he is just scared I'll do it again but he hides most of the time now.He used to greet me whenever I came to his tank but not now!

Re: Trimming teeth
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:02 am
by Pufferpunk
What's he doing?
Re: Trimming teeth
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:42 am
by Tweetie-pie
I know this will sound kind of dumb but whenever I would come to his tank & called his name,he would come from where ever he was & get all excited to see me.He'd show his teeth & shake his butt at me.He has always had a mirror set up at one end of his tank & would spend time chasing (sort of) his reflection....he did it a good part of his day & even when I turned his tank light off.He's in 33gal tank by himself...he's always been the only one in his tank from the time I got him as a baby so he would interact with me or someone else who happens to be in front of his tank.He now is hiding in his home or under the filter or behind his ruins.When he used to be in his home he would come right out whenever he saw me but now he doesn't come out.He's not swimming around like he used...mostly hiding.I'm hoping he will settle down & become his old self again...but I feel I've damaged him & it's killing me.He was so friendly & comical before...such a sweetie.I've dropped in snails for him which he loved before & would hunt for them as I dropped in different spots so he would have something to do.Now it's like he doesn't know he's suppose to eat them so I have snails living in the tank with him.I have dropped in all sizes but he could care less.So I have my fingers crossed that he will be back to normal soon! I will never use that clove oil again!! It is in the garbage now..where it belongs!
Re: Trimming teeth
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:09 am
by J-P
how long was he under for?
Re: Trimming teeth
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:57 pm
by Tweetie-pie
I'm not sure but it was probably 1-2 minutes before I thought enough & pulled him out.I don't think I had used enough oil as he never turned over & his breathing was good..where the instructions said 3 drops & within 60 sec. he would turn over..which he didn't so I waited a bit more after the 60 sec.then I took him out.I didn't have him out of the water that long trimming maybe a min if that then I put him in the clean water & it took no time at all before he was swimming around.I didn't have a proper dropper so I had to use a small syringe like you use for giving your pet medicine.The drops were very small that came out.
Re: Trimming teeth
Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:30 pm
by chiang01
Someone on The Puffer Forum suggested feeding clams to take care of teeth and it is working great for me. I went and bought about a dozen fresh clams, took them home, pried them open, and broke them up using two pairs of pliers. I threw away the shell pieces that had no clam attached and the rest went in the freezer. My GSP loves them, sometimes he actually breaks the shell into smaller pieces when he's eating. Thanks to whoever posted this suggestion!