Page 2 of 3

Re: Hello from Florida

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:46 pm
by stangd1909
trekenk wrote:Strips aren't near as accurate as the liquid, I wouldn't trust the strips. I would be surprised if your tank is fully cycled with the way you described cycling it and then adding your guy. Just keep an eye on the parameters.

Are you taking a sample to the same LFS that sold you your dog face puffer???? Sorry but most of us have come to realize most LFS are in the market of making money selling products you don't need and giving not the greatest advice. Sad but true. I had found that most don't take the time to shake the bottle long enough for a accurate reading. Trust you test kit and yourself for this.

No, I stopped going to that LFS. I will keep checking the water and fish. I will do a water change tomorrow regardless of what the test says. Thanks a for all your help.

Re: Hello from Florida

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:02 pm
by Pufferpunk
[welcome]
You can toss the strips.

Re: Hello from Florida

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:21 pm
by stangd1909
Pufferpunk wrote:[welcome]
You can toss the strips.

Yeah, I bought the test tube set. I didn't like the strips.

Re: Hello from Florida

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:37 pm
by stangd1909
OK, I had a buddy come over that has a reef tank...and has had them for years. He checked me levels and said they are a little high. I can't do anything tonight about a water change, so I added to cap fulls of Prime and will recheck tomorrow. Will do a water change on Wednesday. The levels are not in the yellow, but not in the green. I will update as things happen.

Re: Hello from Florida

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:40 am
by Pufferpunk
Are you mixing SW for a WC now?

Re: Hello from Florida

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:58 am
by stangd1909
Pufferpunk wrote:Are you mixing SW for a WC now?

No, I don't have an RO system. So I will pick up some already mixed water from the LFS. I will do a 20 gallon change to start, .89 a gallon isn't to bad. I will pick it up Tuesday morning, and start warming it up to the temp in the tank.

Re: Hello from Florida

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:05 am
by Pufferpunk
Tap water isn't terribly bad for a FOWLR tank, in an emergency. With that fish, you better get your own RO system.

Re: Hello from Florida

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:07 am
by stangd1909
Pufferpunk wrote:Tap water isn't terribly bad for a FOWLR tank, in an emergency. With that fish, you better get your own RO system.


Yup, it's in the budget. i have been sitting here watching him for the past few hours, they are such cool fish. He is interested in everything LOL.

Re: Hello from Florida

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:46 am
by Pufferpunk

Re: Hello from Florida

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:31 pm
by stangd1909
OK, I gotta up today and rechecked the water. Ammonia- 0; I am very happy, I will do a water change on Wednesday and continue to monitor the parameters.

Re: Hello from Florida

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:55 pm
by Pufferpunk
:)

Re: Hello from Florida

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:08 pm
by stangd1909
I'm also going on a 3 day vacation the first weekend in March. I have decided not to add any more fish until I get back. How are Puffers on being alone? Do they need tank mates to be happy, or are they fine by themselves?

Re: Hello from Florida

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:23 pm
by Pufferpunk

Re: Hello from Florida

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:28 pm
by stangd1909

Re: Hello from Florida

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:34 pm
by xrayjeeper83
where in Fla are you, im just out side jax.


welcome