Page 2 of 2
Re: Hello from Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:53 pm
by J-P
poor google. Your GSPs and F8s will need separate tanks. GSPs are higher salt levels , and as mentioned 30 gals min. F8s are lower salt levels.
As for the teeth trim, Dadof4 has it pegged. Wait till he / she has healed enough to go ahead with the treatment.
In the meantime; look to separating them into their tanks, research MS-222 (lots of info on this site).
Feeding please check the library:
library/category/feeding/
GSPs:
library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/
ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Brackish/T_Nigroviridis/
F8:
library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/
ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Brackish/T_Biocellatus/
I know that is a lot of reading... but necessary.
Re: Hello from Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:40 pm
by jamnmom
OK.. I gave her some blood worms this morning and checked on her again when I got home. She was acting better, but I am still going to transfer Google and her sidekick(other GSP) to a bigger tank and leave the Spot (F8P) in the 25g high.
I tested the water with an API liquid test kits and here are the results:
pH - 7.4
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 80 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Salinity - 6 ppt
SG - 1.005
I am doing a 50% water change and will test again in few hours before I go to bed. She has regained her green coloring again and the black is gone from her belly. However, I am still going to move her to a bigger tank. I didn't realize that they needed so much space. I will be buying a 55g tank this weekend. In the mean time I did stop at Petco and buy a 29g (they had the $1 per/gallon sale) to put her in and I am going to start the cycling on that tonight with the water from the water change tonight.
Any other suggestions? I am open to all help and advice.

This site has been really helpful. I have been reading all the links you guys have posted for me and have been trying to read all of the forums as well.. Taking some time, but I am getting through it. Thank you again so much!!!
P.S. - I posted a couple of pics in my album for you to see what she looks like now.
Jamnmom
Re: Hello from Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:20 am
by Dadof4
Yeah, you're on the right track! Get the nitrates down below 20, preferably below 10 and I think Google will be a happier, healthier fish. Keep up with the blood worms and if you can try adding some vitamins to them.
Re: Hello from Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:15 am
by trekenk
jamnmom wrote:I will be buying a 55g tank this weekend. In the mean time I did stop at Petco and buy a 29g (they had the $1 per/gallon sale) to put her in and I am going to start the cycling on that tonight with the water from the water change tonight.
Water doesn't contain any the beneficial bacterial use to cycle a tank. Try to obtain use filter media, gravel or ornaments. The link below should be useful to you.
library/water-filtration/emergencycycle/
Re: Hello from Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:38 am
by jamnmom
Tested this morning and the results were
pH - 7.4
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 40 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Salinity - 6 ppt
SG - 1.005
Going to do another water change this evening and will check the paremeters again. I read the article you posted for me Trekenk and I am starting the cycle process on it. I will get some vitamins to soak the blood worms in on my lunch today and give that to her tomorrow morning. Thank you guys so much for all your comments. I appreciate it! Before long Google, Spot and Digit will be a lot healthier and happier in thier new tanks!
Jamnmom
Re: Hello from Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:59 am
by Dadof4
jamnmom wrote: I will get some vitamins to soak the blood worms in on my lunch today
Huh, odd lunch.....oh well, everyone has their own tastes!

Re: Hello from Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:27 pm
by Pufferpunk
I love lunchworms!
Re: Hello from Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:42 pm
by jamnmom
LOL.. Yum...

They were so good!
You guys crack me up!

Re: Hello from Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:37 pm
by sevenyearnight
They are too musky for my tastes.
Re: Hello from Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:20 pm
by jamnmom
OK all... I am getting ready to test the water and do another water change. I have the blood worms soaking in the vitamin supplement and will give that to them right after the water change. I am also going to take the one of the filter media's and put it in the 29g to get the cycling started on it. Wish me luck!!! My fingers are crossed for lower nitrates!
I will post the water parameter results later.
Jamnmom
Re: Hello from Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:26 pm
by c333davis
Hi, Jamnmom! Love your avatar... talk about a close-up!
How are your puffers doing?