Puffer has a swollen...cheek? Please help

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Mopar
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 2 GSPs, Rowdy and Rascal

Post by Mopar »

Thanks! We're picking up the tank today.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Oxiclean dissolves into a non-toxic solution. 1 rinsing & you are good to go. I don't use bleach anymore.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Mopar
Puffer Fry

Post by Mopar »

I think we have some oxiclean somewhere. I'll be sure to use it.
Puffer Queen
Mentor

Post by Puffer Queen »

But does oxiclean work on mycobacterium and other nasties like vibrio ?
Kelly
Mopar
Puffer Fry

Post by Mopar »

Ok so I went and got the tank, and they listed as a 55 gallon, but it was a 46 gallon. But, it was still one heck of a deal considering everything I got, including the ornaments, would be almost 500 dollars at my LFS. I don't think 168.02 (tax pickup fee brought it up from 152.50) is too bad of a deal. 46 Gallons is more than enough for my little buddy.
Mopar
Puffer Fry

Post by Mopar »

Oh man, my puffers having a submerging problem, he can't swim down, he just swims at the top at an angle with his head upward, and lately he's just been sitting in the corner by the filter, he's fluttering, but he's not going anywhere! This doesn't look good :cry:

Ummm...Ok *edit* I started taking out water for a water change, and after I took a little out, he started swimming around again...
Pandora114
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: C. travancoricus RIP both of you little guys. Tank will be a F8 after GSP goes full marine
T. nigroviridis Named Pepsi

Post by Pandora114 »

Pufferpunk wrote:LOL, I just had am image of someone on the corner with a cup, asking for donations for their puffer!
>.> You havn't seen my blog lately have you..

*psssttt buy my ebay stuff so I can rescue dwarf puffers from PetSmart.......buy my ebay stuff so I can rescue dwarf puffers from petsmart........*

Subliminal message above.. lol

;)
Pandora114
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: C. travancoricus RIP both of you little guys. Tank will be a F8 after GSP goes full marine
T. nigroviridis Named Pepsi

Post by Pandora114 »

Mopar wrote:Oh man, my puffers having a submerging problem, he can't swim down, he just swims at the top at an angle with his head upward, and lately he's just been sitting in the corner by the filter, he's fluttering, but he's not going anywhere! This doesn't look good :cry:

Ummm...Ok *edit* I started taking out water for a water change, and after I took a little out, he started swimming around again...
The whole swimming at the top thing is a sign of bad water....especially if he's a darker colour..

Anyway, when you set up your new tank, re-use the filter media from your old tank so you dont have to worry about cycling.

If not head on over to your LFS and buy some Bio-Spira if they have it. the stuff on the shelves are bunk...useless waste of money.
Mopar
Puffer Fry

Post by Mopar »

Ya, after I did the water change he started swimming around a lot, he was really fluttery and happy like he usually is. I hope that means he is getting better.
Also, he's been a darker color for a while because he's sick.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Mopar wrote:Ya, after I did the water change he started swimming around a lot, he was really fluttery and happy like he usually is. I hope that means he is getting better.
Definately a sign that something's wrong w/your water.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Mopar
Puffer Fry

Post by Mopar »

R.I.P Mr. Puffy 4/4/07 :cry:
Puffer Queen
Mentor

Post by Puffer Queen »

Sorry to hear of your loss.
Kelly
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

:(

Mopar
Puffer Fry

Post by Mopar »

Most people come home to a dead fish, but I noticed he was doing very badly around 5:00. So I sat with him to see what was going on. At about 6:00 I lost it because I knew he was dying. He died around 6:30. And yes, I sat with him for an hour and a half because I didn't want him to be alone when he died. I couldn't flush him down the toilet, so I gave him the best burial I could think of. We have a creek running in the woods behind our house. I put his body in it and let it drift away. One last swim for my little buddy. :cry:

And once again I'd like to thank everyone for all your help.
PuffTheMagicFishy
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: None at the mo.
Location (country): California, USA

Post by PuffTheMagicFishy »

:rip:

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mr. Puffy. You did your best to see to it that he was a happy little guy. He had a good life with you.
Tanks:
20-gal feeder breeder (platties and snails)
75-gal West African Lungfish + snails

Other pets: Pacific parrotlet, Italian Greyhound, lots of plants