Fahaka tank size

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
jread002
Puffer Fry
Location (country): usa

Fahaka tank size

Post by jread002 »

Been keeping make African cichlid tanks for the past 5-6 years and I've become burned out on them. Last week I decided I was going to get out of the hobbies and sell all my tanks. Then 2 days ago I was scrolling through FB and a video of a fahaka puffer popped up, got me thinking maybe I would keep one tank 😂. More than 10 years ago I had a green spotted puffer in a 65 tall . He was probably the coolest fish I ever owned. So my biggest dilemma is tank size, the one I want to use is a 6ft 125 gallon,white fine sand substrate, has 2 fx6 filters, jabeo wave makers. 2 200w heaters. Is the setup good for a fahaka? I don't want to have to get a bigger tank in 18 months. 1 other question the tank has a 3d background in it from universal rocks, it's called crystal wall and at its thickest spot only takes up 1", will that be fine in there with the puffer?
My LFS has a arrowhead puffer which I like but 1 puffer in a 125 that will only get around 5" seems like major overkill especially if the puffer just like to sit on the sand lol

In my short 2 day research doesn't seem like there is any puffer that grow to around the 12" range or am I wrong. That seems like the I deal size for a 125.

Any info or advice would be great appreciated. I have people messaging me wanting to buy my 125 but I'm still undecided lol
Thanks
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Fahaka tank size

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"