SW Easier than BW?

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Shrimpy0z
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 2 F8 Puffers "Bean" and "Pebble)
Location (country): Singapore

SW Easier than BW?

Post by Shrimpy0z »

Hi all,

Since my last post, I've been converting my freshwater tank into a brackish tank in order to keep either a F8 puffer or GSP (still undecided). Right now the parameters are stable, with a PH of about 7.6 and 0 ammonia and 0 Nitrites. I've been dosing Fritz ammonium chloride every few days once ammonia hits 0 to keep the bacteria alive (the tank is still uninhabited). The tank is decorated with rocks and driftwood (don't worry, its driftwood that I've kept in FW aquariums for the past 2 years, tannins have leeched out and they don't lower the PH anymore) for a dynamic environment. Here's a photo of it.

I've seen it mentioned on the forum multiple times but I was wondering why full saltwater tanks are easier to keep compared to a high brackish tank (mainly asking this for GSP since most posts say that they thrive in full salt once they are older). For now if I end up getting a GSP, I'll be keeping it in 1.005SG water and eventually increase it to full salt as it grows older.

My tank is currently running 2 air driven filters (1 corner sponge filter and 1 combination sponge/biological media filter), if I end up converting to saltwater, I'll add an air driven protein skimmer as well, remove the driftwood and add some live rock.

Thanks for reading!
Shrimpy0z
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 2 F8 Puffers "Bean" and "Pebble)
Location (country): Singapore

Re: SW Easier than BW?

Post by Shrimpy0z »

Oops, realized that imgur doesn't work. Here's the picture of the tank.

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: SW Easier than BW?

Post by Pufferpunk »

God questions! The initial setup of SW is a bit more costly but does save you $$$ on salt in the long run. A marine system should only require 30% WC every 3-4 weeks, as BW, 50% weekly. You would remove all filtration other than the skimmer. Add sand substrate & 1 1/2-2lbs cured live rock/gal. I would remove the driftwood. You could cure the LR in your tank (fishless) to cycle it.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"