Experienced Fahaka Keeper plse...

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Wanderingmind
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Experienced Fahaka Keeper plse...

Post by Wanderingmind »

Hi guys,

I have a Fahaka of about 6 months old now. I could really use a few bit of knowledge and experience from someone who has this.

1. Having moved the puffer to a new much bigger tank it's completely lost its appetite, seems healthy swimming around and investigating, but will not feed. It used to come up and feed from my hand. How long is normal for a fahaka to take to get used to its new tank and become hungry / confident again? It's been 3 days without eating now.

2. What should normal poo look like? (colour and form etc) Is it normal to be in a lumpy strand and to hang off the fish for a little while, like it does with other fish? (tetra etc)

Many thanks in advance for any insights and help with this special creature, it would be much appreciated.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Experienced Fahaka Keeper plse...

Post by Pufferpunk »

Fahakas are extremely moody fish. It took mine 2 weeks to finally eat after moving him from a 55g to his 125g. Try live earthworms.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
fatpuffer
Figure 8 Puffer

Re: Experienced Fahaka Keeper plse...

Post by fatpuffer »

I agree. I moved Alice from 75 to 120 gallon and she is still sulking. Eating now but ‘sulk eating’ lol. On a good note, she is still eating northfin carnivore and kelp discs.