T. schoutedeni vs. C. irrubesco for 40 gallon breeder community tank?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Cowrie
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States of America

T. schoutedeni vs. C. irrubesco for 40 gallon breeder community tank?

Post by Cowrie »

Hello, all, I'm interested in getting a freshwater pufferfish - I love how smart and personable puffers seem - of some kind, but I'm not sure what, if any, species would be suitable for one of the tanks I have available.

I have a 40 gallon breeder tank that already houses a trio of peacock eels (Macrognathus siamensis), and a school each of espei rasboras (Trigonostigma espei) and drape fin barbs (Oreichthys crenuchoides). I know there are puffers that would fit in that tank in terms of bioload and swimming space, but I've gotten mixed information as to whether any of those species are compatible with the fish already in there.

If there aren't any puffers that would be compatible with the fish already in my 40 breeder, I also have a 10 gallon tank that hasn't got any livestock in it yet. Would that be big enough to house any of the smaller puffer species?
Last edited by Cowrie on Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Any puffers suitable for a 40-gallon community OR a 10-gallon tank?

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Cowrie
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States of America

Re: Any puffers suitable for a 40-gallon community OR a 10-gallon tank?

Post by Cowrie »

Okay, so after doing some research, I've decided that, if I get a puffer, it will definitely go in the 40 gallon tank. I also have a 20 gallon tank that I can use as a back-up if the puffer ends up being too temperamental for the community. I've narrowed it down to two options, a Carinotetraodon irrubesco or a Tetraodon schoutedeni. I like how much cheaper the irrubesco would be, and also the fact that if it does begin to show aggression, the smaller fish would probably do less damage before I could move it to the 20 gallon, but I'm concerned that an irrubesco might be so small as to "get lost" in the bustle of a 40 gallon community. Anyone got thoughts on irrubesco vs. schoutedeni for a 40 gallon breeder community? In addition to the species I already mentioned, I'm also thinking of adding a small school of reticulated hillstream loaches, so the greater bioload of a schoutedeni is also a concern.