New Tank!

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Kindredspirit
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Sacramento California

New Tank!

Post by Kindredspirit »

Hi everybody I have an account here but I never posted! I just set up my 20 gallon long. And it’s been up for a few days so it’s still cycling (that’s another story)

I decided on getting puffers ~ I know I can only get two and that’s fine. I’m doing a lot of reading ~ we must do our due diligence!

I will have a gazillion questions and one, might be to help me finish cycling my tank. Here’s a picture let me know what you think.

My tank was up earlier and it was bigger but we were involved in a apartment fire above me, so we had to move to a motel which was beautiful ~ thank God for renters insurance if you have it keep it 20 bucks a month. They paid for everything!

So now I’m back and I’m ready to get my puffers♥️

I have been trying forever to add my image of my tank and every size I convert two it says here that it’s too large I don’t know what to do😞
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: New Tank!

Post by Pufferpunk »

Do you have a link to where your photo is stored?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Kindredspirit
Puffer Fry

Post by Kindredspirit »

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Beautiful tank! What kind of puffers are you considering? What is your concern about finishing your cycle? Lots of great info here under the Library tab.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Kindredspirit
Puffer Fry

Post by Kindredspirit »

Oh thank you so much for helping me!! I wanted the one with blue eyes and a smile. And I think those are way too big for my tank. Because I saw a puffer once or twice that had the cutest smile but the pea puffers don’t seem to smile as much 😞

So I guess to recap I want blue eyes and smile😂😂. Can I just have one in my tank I think they would thrive!

I’m in the process of recycling my tank. Because we had put it up so many times in the last month as we had a fire at the upstairs apartment and had to move ~ now I’m in my final apartment and the tank just went up so I have to recycle all over again🥺

And I really have no idea what I’m doing! I hit it with ammonia ~ I have a log at home probably two times in the last week. I was told every other day and it is climbing ~ I don’t know what I’m doing after that🫣🤦‍♀️
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

library/water-filtration/fishless-cycling/
Puffers don't have blue eyes, it is the reflection of light that makes them look blue. there are red-eyed puffers though.
Here's a good list: https://www.pufferfishenthusiastsworldwide.com/articles

Kindredspirit
Puffer Fry

Post by Kindredspirit »

I have read that article I’m fishless cycle cycling but I couldn’t find it again ~ thank you so much!

It’s the light that gives them the blue eyes? I was wondering why some did not. I will look at that link. So for my 20 gallon long do you seen my tank should I just get one for six what do you suggest?
Kindredspirit
Puffer Fry

Post by Kindredspirit »

Hey Queen! I’ve been reading for days and you know you’ve seen my tank I have gravel. I took out the sand I just hated it so much! I cleaned it and cleaned it and put it in no matter what I would tweak in my aquarium the whole thing will get cloudy again I had it so I took it all out and switched it. I can’t get puffers now because They can’t bury themselves in my gravel??🥺
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

It all depends on which species you get. Anything catch your eye?
All of them like laying in the soft sand, even if they do not burrow.
You aren't being patient enough with it. All 7 of my tanks have sand. After rinsing as well as you can, add filter floss (pillow stuffing is cheap at a seeing dept) to polish the water. I keep it in all my filters. When it clogs the filter slowing down the flow, change it out.

Kindredspirit
Puffer Fry

Post by Kindredspirit »

I’ve always had sand with my discus but this time round I just cannot get the cloudiness gone. So I took it all out and added gravel and that was a pain and I don’t want to do that again!

I have lots of filter floss ~ works well! I think I’m being very patient I bought my tank in April and we are in the middle of September and I still have no fish😂

I did see two puffers I loved but they get too big for a 20 gallon. I probably will just go with Peapuffers I think ~

If that’s a definite no because I have gravel because I cannot change it again, I guess I’ll think of a different fish🥺

Is there a way I can just go to this forum and check this thread and others instead of going through the link in my email?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Kindredspirit
Puffer Fry

Post by Kindredspirit »

I’m reading the article about cycling your fishless tank. Can you tell me what this sentence means?

“cut the amount of ammonia back by halving the reading”
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

If you are adding 20 drops of ammonia to achieve the desired ammonia level & see nitrite, then start adding 10 instead.

Kindredspirit
Puffer Fry

Post by Kindredspirit »

Oh. On my way to work can I show you my readings when I get home? Now I was told I should test always after I dose is that true?
Kindredspirit
Puffer Fry

Post by Kindredspirit »

Pufferpunk!

How can I add some pictures? Quickly link is not working for me and this is not user-friendly I’m about ready to scream! I have a converter that I shrink all my pictures for every site. This site does not work.🥺