Do Mbu puffers breathe slightly heavier when sleeping or excited?

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
Katlin_jones92
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Birmingham, Alabama

Do Mbu puffers breathe slightly heavier when sleeping or excited?

Post by Katlin_jones92 »

I have a Mbu puffer, he is TINY, VERY TINY right now, we just got him a week ago. I have been studying Mbu puffers for years and did ALL the research before getting one, but one thing seems to escape me..do they tend to breath a TAD bit heavier when excited or sleeping? He may not be sleeping but just trying to rest and relax but he seems to be breathing a bit heavy, at least to me..
He is currently in a ten gallon quarantine, all the water levels are good, did a water change just to be sure..about 25 to 30%, added bio cleaner and prime which conditioned the new water I added, and cleaned his tank, even though there wasn't much to clean. He isn't swimming oddly, and still eating, I just see his little belly going up and down.. I'm not sure if he gets to excited or what. Color has not changed, he is just as beautiful as ever. I also cut his lights off to help calm if he is stressed at all..

And before I get any lip about me owning a Mbu, i will gladly tell you all that i am VERY aware of what goes into keeping one, and we are fully prepared to provide an adequate forever home for him, when he gets big enough, he will be going into a full blown converted above ground swimming pool and will be the only one in there..we are prepared to grow him out and upgrade tanks as he needs upgrades, and fully aware of the expense that comes with owning one. I also am not a newb by any means, I have a 75 gal saltwater with a puffer, eel, a peppermint shrimp, crabs, and corals..I have a 40 gallon bow front planted angelfish tank with 2 angels, 2 african dwarf frogs and 2 albino plecos. And a 40 gallon goldfish tank with 3 fancy goldfish..they have been established for years.. all livestock and plants are doing great. I also rescue animals and have been doing so since I was about 18. So I definitely am not a newb..
Sorry this is so long, but I am new to the forum and wanted to get all the info out so that people have info to work with.
I just would like to know if anyone has any ideas or guesses as to what could be going on or if I am completely over reacting because I love him so much and just being a helicopter fish parent.
I know puffers can act weird and sometimes there just is not a reason for it, so I figured I would come here and see what you guys think.
Thanks in advance.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Do Mbu puffers breathe slightly heavier when sleeping or excited?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Above-ground pool sounds great! Have you tested the water parameters in the QT?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"