Substrate change

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
BjornIronside11
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Substrate change

Post by BjornIronside11 »

Hello all I'm new to this group and was curious about doing a substrate change for my GSP. He was rehomed to us and is doing fantastic! He came with sand and it's fairly messy. I was wondering what would be a good alternative and how to go about doing the change. I know it would be removing g a good amount of beneficial bacteria. Would that be safe to do? What are some recommended substrate to use in a brackish tank? I know crushed coral can be beneficial. Aquarium gravel?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Substrate change

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Aragonite sand is recommended for BW fish. How are you finding sand to be messy? I have sane in all 7 of my tanks.
library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
BjornIronside11
Puffer Fry

It's actually cleared right up! It's a very fine sand that he came with I do t know if that's the exact reason but it seamed to get tossed up into the water with any movement at all making it cloudy. Since then I have upgraded the filter to a Seachem tidal 55 and stacked some extra mechanical filtration with it as well as a charcoal and bio stone pellets. I find the extra filtration power and mechanical has helped the most his water is crystal clean now! BTW we do weekly water changes 1/3 each week is this enough?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Just the puffer in there? How large is he? Tank size? No need for charcoal, unless you are removing meds or color.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

BjornIronside11
Puffer Fry

Yes just the one GSP and it's a 30G good to know on the charcoal I had seen mixed reviews online hence why I'm here! He's a solid 3 inches I'd say. Actual age is unknown as we got him from someone else. What would you recommend filtration wise? I currently have the course filter it came with topped with fluval quick clear water polisher then charcoal and bio stone on top.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

What are your plans to go BW/SW?
I like to figure 10g/1" for them if going SW.

BjornIronside11
Puffer Fry

Again I've heard mixed reviews on the GSP and their water needs. Given his size is there any way to get a rough age guess? We're slowly transitioning him to BW now and have heard all kinds of different salinity levels that are "Best" and currently at a 1.008. He seems to be much more active and happy since adding to his salinity level. Is this to be expected? Any help in this aspect is GREATLY appreciated I just want him to have a happy healthy life! I'd like to change him to a 55-75G tank but figured I'd get him established first. He has lots of live and fake plants hiding spots decor and bubbles! Loves to play in the bubbles.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Did you read the article I posted above?

BjornIronside11
Puffer Fry

I just did and it was very helpful! We seem to be on point so far with everything! That's good to know. We will be getting him a bigger tank most likely something in the 70G range once our lower level of basement is finished. What are your feelings about a tank mate? Any recommendations? I saw tomato clown is this actually doable? I don't want to introduce so.ething only to have it killed. Would love to have a second fish in there though.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

It all depends on the particular aggressiveness of each puffer.