Sand substrate fogging up my tank

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
Ti_CLaD
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): Canada

Sand substrate fogging up my tank

Post by Ti_CLaD »

Hello, I've decided to put playsand in my 80gallon tank that is cycle at the moment ( fishless ).

I've cleaned the sand like you guys suggested. I've put 2-3 pounds of sand in a pale, filled it with tap water mixing it by hand to kick up the dust. Emptying it, refilling it, repeated until the water showed less dust in it. Then I left the water run in it for more or less an hour in the pale, after that I repeated the hand mixing with empty refill two three times. Water looked good. After doing the whole 40 pound bag I baked the sand at 200° for 20 minutes. Let it cool down.

About 3 hours ago, I turned off the pump and I've put the sand in the aquarium trying to settle it to the bottom as easy as I could to avoid fogging up the water but it still did...

Now 3 hours later, the pump is still off and the water is still all fogged up.

Is it normal that it take so much time to settle or did I not clean it enough???

Should I restart the pump or wait??? ( it's a top of glass type and I installed a prefilter on it because I'm scared to scrap the pump if sand passes thru it...

Thank you
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Sand substrate fogging up my tank

Post by Pufferpunk »

I always just add filter floss to the filter to "polish" the water.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Ti_CLaD
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): Canada

Post by Ti_CLaD »

Thank you, I'll look into it. Do you normally replace the foam in the filter by the floss or just add the floss on it???

I used to run the aquarium without the charcoal when I had the figure 8, right now it's in there because it's cycling but maybe later I could replace the charcoal by the filter floss???
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I run floss in every single one of my filters--even canisters. You may have to change it often, as it clears up the sand dust & clogs.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"