Help! My hairy puffer fish has 1 large white moderately fuzzy spot! Please help

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
13randon
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Oregon *United States

Help! My hairy puffer fish has 1 large white moderately fuzzy spot! Please help

Post by 13randon »

I have a hairy puffer fish that I've had for about 8 months he's in a 55 gallon hexagon tank and has been for a while and is well established with live plants and has never had a single issue up until this point. He's fed very well his tank is kept extremely clean and for the entire time I've owned him he has been a wonderful fish with no problems whatsoever but my girlfriend and I just recently went out of town for 2 days and came back today and he has one large white spot on his left side Midway through his body right behind his left pectoral fin and it looks like it's about an inch long buy a quarter inch wide and is moderately fuzzy. Normally he's very active and comes to the glass to greet me whenever I come in the room and is constantly swimming around glass surfing or just do another proper stuff or he hangs out in his little cave but since I've been home he's just been laying on the Sandy substrate and hasn't really moved much and I don't want to disturb him if he's trying to heal I have just about every kind of medicine known to Petco PetSmart and local fish stores alike so if you guys have any ideas on what it could be or know what it is please write me back as soon as possible and I'm going to try to attach some pictures so that you guys can see what I'm dealing with thank you so much anything helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Help! My hairy puffer fish has 1 large white moderately fuzzy spot! Please help

Post by Pufferpunk »

Considering how well you take care of him, this is really strange. Could he have rested against the heater? Is there a cut there?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
13randon
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Oregon *United States

Re: Help! My hairy puffer fish has 1 large white moderately fuzzy spot! Please help

Post by 13randon »

I have a internal canister filter,like one that is submerged in the water and the heater is in the corner behind it so it's very hard for him to get too and I have never seen him even try to get back there before. He normally hangs out either in the cave I built for him or resting on the drift wood pieces in the middle of the tank. At first I thought it was a cut and that maybe he got nicked on a sharp stick or even one of the rocks in there but it looks like a lil bump where the spot is. Likes it's swollen. I'm at a total loss on what it could be and he has always lived in a tank by him self, I raise my own feeder fish and have never had any problems with parasites or anything with them and none of mymother fish have gotten sick from them either. My water parameters are all perfect. Likenliterally ammonia, nitrates and trites are all so low that the solution doesn't even register anything, zero color change and pH is at 7-7.2 which is normally pretty ideal for most fish. But indont want to treat him with meds cause I've never had very good luck with medications especially with scaless fish. I've been doing water changes twice a day of about 50% of the water and all my water I change with comes out of a 55gal drum that's been treated with prime and what not and has peat moss floating and growing in it to cut the hardness and so that when I add water it's as soft and Chem free as possible. I'm really at a loss on what could have caused it or what it could be even. He seems to be swimming around bow and comes up to greet me at the glass and looks like he wants food but the spot or patch doesn't look any better then it did when I found him with it.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

If you don't want meds, then I'd try salt at 1 tbsp/10g.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Gioele
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Italia

Post by Gioele »

For me this a mycosis, if it was a carassius, a botia or other I will advise to use a solution of 6g/L of salt in a separate tank.
But I don't know the species so well
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Gioele
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Italia

Post by Gioele »

Thank you so much pufferpunk👍