New Puffer Owner, Need Tips and Advice

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
CheesethePuffer
Puffer Fry
Location (country): New York, USA

New Puffer Owner, Need Tips and Advice

Post by CheesethePuffer »

Hello Puffer Forum People!
My name is Lauryn and i recently purchased a Green Spotted Puffer fish. As much as I hate to admit it, it was an impulsive purchase. I named the lil puff Cheese (Cheese Puff!! hehe) and he is currently living in a smaller aquarium that I already had established while i prepare the 30 gallon tank that I purchased for him to have all to himself for the remainder of his life. I am very well versed in keeping fresh water fish and id say im confident in taking the next step into the fish keeping world. With that being said I know nothing about salt/brackish water and im concerned about the transition from fresh to brackish for little Cheese. It would be helpful if someone could break it down as simple as possible for me what the easiest way to start transitioning him would be. Ive been doing a lot of research but the more info i can get the more at ease i will feel with going into this transitioning process. All advice and tips are welcome even if it does not regard the water transition. Id love to learn as much about this species as possible. I cant wait to see what information ya'll have to offer! Thank you!
- Lauryn & Cheese :-D
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: New Puffer Owner, Need Tips and Advice

Post by Pufferpunk »

Hi, 30g isn't the best size for a Nerf football-sized adult puffer. It would be much happier in a 55g. How about a Figure 8 & some tank mates?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"