Preparing Puffer Food

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
MasonPaulUk
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Preparing Puffer Food

Post by MasonPaulUk »

Hey fellow Puffer keepers :)

I have been scouring the internet to validate how I am preparing the food im serving up to my 3 Figure 8 puffers.
Specifically im looking for advice and images of how people prepare Mussells, White Clam and Razor Clam ready for their puffer to eat.

Currently my guys are dining in on a mix of;
- cooked frozen shelled King Prawn (usually cut into two pieces and dropped either side of the tank), thawed in a nutrient water for around 40mins in tank water.
- Live Ramshorn (once a week)
- Mix of frozen bloodworm and brineshrimp (mixed or alternated, twice a week)
- cooked frozen White Clam (Meretrix lyrata) from the super market, thawed in a nutrient water for around 40mins in tank water.
- Once a week I usually skip a day, this is normally where they have been fed king prawn or white clam two days in a row as they tend to get big bellys then!

Its really the prep of the white clam, razor clam and id like to introduce mussells as in the UK this is something I can get hold of.
I want them to have to use their teeth more and what im finding is the white clams just open up after thawing out and this is easy pickings for the puffers and dont have to use their teeth at all other than tugging out the soft rubbery meat. Feel im not getting the full benefit of the shell.

Any videos, images or guidance on preparing those shelled food?

thanks all Image
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Preparing Puffer Food

Post by Pufferpunk »

Your puffers look very healthy!
Do NOT feed cooked food. It is difficult to digest & much less nutritious. If you feed on the half-shell, the puffers will scrape their teeth on the shell, getting out the meat. Brine shrimp have basically no nutrition.

library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
MasonPaulUk
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Post by MasonPaulUk »

Hey thanks for the feedback. Thanks for saying they look healthy :)

So the cooked food was a filler as I checked my whole town for uncooked and there wasnt anything to be found :( Raw is my go to usually.

ive tried to serve on shell but the meat literally lifts off and they grab any piece and pull the rest out getting nowhere near the shell hence my issue :/ Im talking about white clam here specifically.

any tips or experience with mussells or razor clams?

Brine shrimp i feed on days with a mix of blood worm, usually inbetween days where they have large meals, such as king prawn or clam so they dont get to bloated. They love to chase the food around as the water blows it around the tank, so its kinda stimulating :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Any shelled animal not cooked is good.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"