New Figure 8 Puffers in 30 gallon

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
notCRAZYenough
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Germany

New Figure 8 Puffers in 30 gallon

Post by notCRAZYenough »

Hi there.

I‘m new here and I don’t know how active this board still is and if I can get generalized help here. I have two new puffers and they look healthy to me. The tank is cycled (30 gallon) and well decorated. I do not have anything else but two puffers in there. I fed bladder and ramshorn snails and frozen shrimp so far. The water is still fresh, planning on upgrading to brackish in 2-4 weeks after the plants had some time to grow in.

Here are my questions:

One of my puffers seems completely fine. The other keeps glass surfing. Can this be due to the recent move or most something else be bothering him? Can I expect this to stop?

The other puffer seems to have a slightly bigger anus. I‘ve seen him twice with poop stuck to him. It seems to take a while for it to fall off. Is this constipation? It’s brown or blackish and round. Not white or stringy.

The same puffer has little white dots on his tail fin. No other dots anywhere on his body. More clear than white. The other puffer doesn’t have any. Sign for ich or just part of his natural pattern?

Is there any way to properly sex them?

Attached photo of the fish with the poop and the white spots.

https://imgur.com/a/eTw4xGp
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: New Figure 8 Puffers in 30 gallon

Post by Pufferpunk »

Glass surfing is usually in response to not enough decorations to feel safe. How heavily decorated is the tank? I assume it is cycled?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
notCRAZYenough
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Germany

Re: New Figure 8 Puffers in 30 gallon

Post by notCRAZYenough »

It is cycled and has lots of decorations to explore. With plenty of nooks and crannies!
Last edited by notCRAZYenough on Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.