HELP. Buying a DPF

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
lj.jtl
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

HELP. Buying a DPF

Post by lj.jtl »

So, I am new to the world of puffer fish. I am buying a DPF from my local Exotic Pet Store. Now, they have a few fish that should be freshwater listed as brackish water and this concerns me. When I called to ask about ordering they assured me that the DPF would do much better in a brackish water tank. But based on all of the research I’ve done everything that I have purchased is for a freshwater setup and I’m concerned that my DPF will arrive in my care unwell. Is there something I should do to better acclimate the tank for their arrival? Should I keep its tank brackish or freshwater? I know brackish water helps control certain ailments but aren’t DPF supposed to be strictly freshwater? Any and all advice is welcome!!! Thank you!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: HELP. Buying a DPF

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
lj.jtl
Puffer Fry

Post by lj.jtl »

I read the whole article and it literally doesn’t say anything about brackish water. I know DPF are freshwater fish. But the store I am considering buying from has them in brackish water. That article didn’t bring any clarity or answer my original question or concern…
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'll bet they are only in "salted" water at the store. Ask them what specific gravity they are in & what kind of salt. Then I can give you better info on acclimating.
How many are you planning on purchasing? What size tank? Is it cycled?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

lj.jtl
Puffer Fry

Post by lj.jtl »

Yeah, I can ask. The store I am getting them from orders them in from a supplier and they weren’t very keen on answering my questions. I am only purchasing one. And am going to be keeping it in a 5 gallon tank. Yes it is cycled.
lj.jtl
Puffer Fry

Post by lj.jtl »

I asked the questions you told me to. I honestly doubt they will even get back to me. I think I’m better off waiting for them to be back in stock online and ordering them from a supplier online.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Did you read in that article about them doing much better in groups of 6 or more?