Figure eight puffer has a cloudy eye

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
MuffinMan
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Figure eight puffer has a cloudy eye

Post by MuffinMan »

Hey everyone. I have two figure eight puffers in a 20 gallon tank, and one of them has something over his eye, like a cloudy film. Seems like he's trying to scratch it off on things in the tank. Both of them are just getting over a bout of ich, which they've had for a week and a half or so. I've been treating the ich by keeping the water temperature at 85 F. I've also been very slowly transitioning to brackish water (at 1.001 or so now). They are almost all better, they only have a couple spots on their fins now.

It looks exactly like this: https://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/t ... ye.171281/

They say in that post to try melafix. Anybody else can vouch for this medicine? Should I take the one puffer out and put him in a hospital tank to treat him, or just dose the whole tank with melafix?

WATER PARAMETERS
Nitrates: 0
Nitrites: 0
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
pH: 8.0-8.1
SG: ~1.001

INHABITANTS
20 gal tank
2 figure eight puffers
3 otocinclus
Lots of plants and driftwood
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Figure eight puffer has a cloudy eye

Post by Pufferpunk »

Welcome!
You cannot treat ich with heat, it only makes things worse. Ich is a gill parasite so when you raise the temp it makes breathing even more difficult for your fish. When you see the spots on their body, it means the gills are saturated.
Treat with Ich-X & start making the tank brackish. Your otos will not appreciate any salt at all.
Also, your tank is overstocked. 2 F8s need 25-30g.

How exactly was your tank cycled? A cycled tank will show no ammonia & some nitrate.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
MuffinMan
Puffer Fry

Post by MuffinMan »

The ich appears to be almost better, and most sources I found online suggested raising heat with plenty of oxidation. It seems to have worked. I'm not really asking about the ich, though I appreciate your suggestions, I'm more worried about the cloudy eye.

The tank has been established for years, previously used with guppies. I'm not sure why there are small amounts of ammonia. I understand how a tank cycles and that seemed a little odd to me as well, though with such low levels it doesn't seem like an issue. Tomorrow i will check my kit calibration, maybe it's reading a little weird...

Thanks for the reply.
Last edited by MuffinMan on Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
MuffinMan
Puffer Fry

Post by MuffinMan »

The cloudy eye got worse today. I'm thinking I'm going to pull him out into a hospital tank and dose with melafix. Hopefully someone can confirm soon but if no one replies that's what I'll do.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I have had good results by adding a drop of Melafix directly to the eye. Cloudy eye is usually due to poor water conditions. You can also dose the entire tank with Melafix.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

MuffinMan
Puffer Fry

Post by MuffinMan »

Okay, dosing the tank sounds good. I think I'll do a 25% water change with dosed RO water tonight, then if he doesn't show improvement by tomorrow morning I'll try to put a drop in his eye directly. Thank you!

Side note, i checked my tap water for ammonia as a calibration check, and it read exactly the same as my tank. I guess the kit isn't reading perfectly? I just bought it a few months ago, so that would be disappointing... Thanks again
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

What is your normal WC schedule? Add Tetra Safestart to your filter after WC, to get that tank cycled. I would also start making that tank BW, to remineralize the RO water & help boost the puffer's immune system.

MuffinMan
Puffer Fry

Post by MuffinMan »

Since they've had ich I've been doing 5 gal changes every 2-3 days, so like 4 over the last week and a half. Before ich, i did them every other week or so.

I always thought that tank cycling was like a one time thing. Once the bacteria have colonized the filter, is there any reason that they would die? Again, this tank has been established for over a year.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yes, a cycle can crash. 0 nitrate is not good.

MuffinMan
Puffer Fry

Post by MuffinMan »

His eye is looking better! I'm getting quick start today. Thank you for your help.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

YAY!