Small Mbu Not Eating Few Days After Bringing Home?

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
Zach72202
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Small Mbu Not Eating Few Days After Bringing Home?

Post by Zach72202 »

I am just going to preface this by saying that I do not agree with most people purchasing Mbu Puffers as they get much too large to handle for even dedicated hobbyists, that being said, here is my story on how I got one....

I am going to keep this short-ish.
I had seen a listing on the Facebook group I am apart of about somebody rehoming a Mbu Puffer about 6" in length. I saw it about an hour after it was posted very late at night, only one comment, and given my familiarity with puffers, as I own 5 species not including the Mbu, I decided to message him. I drive two hours to go get him, and take a look at this fish in the tank. He didn't look horrible, but not great. He was in a 90g tank with a 10" alligator gar, 2 adult oscars, a 12" red-tailed catfish, and if there was some more I wasn't in there long enough to see. Tank was very clean though. At this point I was a bit shocked. I wasn't about to stick around and chat though, so I just got the fish in a 5 gal bucket and boogied. Once I got him home and looked at him, I can see some scars where he was beat up by the other fish. I can see some specific marks that look like little comb like teeth (Looking at you alligator gar!). Glad I got him out of there.

I am going to also add that I was going to purchase a Mbu puffer several months ago, but decided against it due to their size, eating, and general tank size, but here we are. I am aware that they need a tank that is at least a footprint of 72"x36" bare minimum, my plan is to build a plywood aquarium for him that is 8'x4' footprint, which my plan is to be touching that 500 gallon mark, but I have a little time before then.

Now for the current situation and problem. I brought him home and day one he did not eat, day two I got him some worms and snails into the tank and he took to them almost right away. He ate several smaller snails, which MTS were his favorite for some reason, they were already in the tank, and he ate two worms. He had an issue eating a ramshorn snail, which I was a bit shocked at, maybe just lazy. Seemed like a really good day to me, things looked good!

Day 3 and 4:
Really hasn't eaten anything either of these days. He looks stressed and disoriented, breathing heavy, but still swimming around. Day 3 I decided to put (Fritz brand) Erythromycin and Para-cleanse (contains metronidazole and praziquentinal). I did this because I know he has internal parasites, he has some white within his feces, so thats an issue, but the previous owner had him for 4 months and he ate for him (pretty much only feeder goldfish, but you get it), but I am thinking due to the move and stress it has brought on a bacterial infection that is really weighing him down.

Today is Start of Day 5:
I have noticed that his breathing has slowed and he looks calmer, still stressed but better. The worm I put in there last night is still in there, so I am not sure about him not eating, but things do look slightly better.

Honestly I am really asking if this is normal and at what point I should be really worried, as currently I am. I have never had another puffer refuse to eat and act like this for this long of a period. I am assuming it can be normal, but these other symptoms have me worried.

Now for the living conditions: Ya'll won't be happy about the tank, but this is just for the initial QT and observation, and then he will be moving to a 120 (48x24x24).

29G Planted Tank
I have cardboard blocking the sides of the tank so he cannot see out and the light is turned off for most of the day.
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrates-10~
pH-7.6 (comes out about 8 in the tap, but after a bit it goes down)

I know the situation is less than ideal at the moment, and the tank is much too small, but my thought is at least he is getting the proper treatment for his parasites and I will be able to house him fairly good for at least a year to two years. I will keep the temp about 76 and avoid overfeeding so he doesn't grow like a weed. I believe this may just be a temporary thing him not eating, but ultimately I am looking for a second opinion if or when I should be very worried. I have read the Mbu story that is pinned and the articles about them, along with hours of research.

Thank you for reading. Any help is appreciated.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Small Mbu Not Eating Few Days After Bringing Home?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Hi, Thank you for rescuing this poor fish. Now, someone needs to take that RTC from that idiot!
My only thought is the fish is depressed in a tank that small. Fish like that can go as long as 6 weeks without eating, so don't worry too much yet.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Zach72202
Puffer Fry

Post by Zach72202 »

Okay great! I like to think I am good at puffers, but as soon as something happens like this I get real worried. In addition to this, I he has eaten all of the Ramshorn snails inside the tank and about half of a worm! So this is good news. As he is currently in QT, I am thinking it will be a cycle like this until I get him moved. I am thinking during the 'off week' of meds I will be moving him into a 75g tank so he should be happier there. I can probably get a light so I can plant it for him as well, but that will be at least a week or two. Things are looking up at this point! I know my current setup or conditions aren't super optimal, but better than he was at least. At least thats what I tell myself. Thank you for the reply!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'm excited to hear about his future! There are very few willing to house these great fish properly.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Zach72202
Puffer Fry

Post by Zach72202 »

I am not entirely sure on how fast they grow, but seeing how big he is already, I am guessing I have about a year and a half until he will be close to two feet. Hopefully in a few months he will be going from the 75 to a 72x24 footprint tank. It will be more of a priority for me than an option as I care about my fish, like I honestly do. I know in the next six years I won't be able to give him that 10'x6' tank that he should have, but maybe one day. Thats what they all say, but hopefully I can get him into something at least 84x36 footprint. Not the greatest either, but at least he won't be nose to tail in the tank sizeways. He is eating too, kinda, a few snails here and there, breathing is better as well.